CAT5 for Elk 32Ohm speakers?

IVB

Anyone see any issue with me using CAT5 for the Elk 32Ohm single gang speakers? Anyone try biwiring them and have issues?

I used CAT5 for all ELK connected speakers. (used the 8ohm surface mount types)
In fact, I used two pairs of the CAT5 cable to minimize resistance effects. Theoretically, cross-connecting the pairs reduces the electromagnetic field around the cable, which could be beneficial in your cable conduit. (ie. wht-brn+wht-or for spk+ and brn+or for spk-)
I doubt the Elk single gang speaker would disclose any further investment in speaker cable.

Regards!
Erwin.

A similar question. I have a cat-5 cable running to my m1 control pad. There are 8 wires total, 4 going to the keypad. Can I use the extra 4 wires to power the 32 ohm speaker without any problems?

Could I just use 2 of the extra wires or would the guage be too small?

Thanks.

I used CAT5 for all ELK connected speakers. (used the 8ohm surface mount types)
In fact, I used two pairs of the CAT5 cable to minimize resistance effects. Theoretically, cross-connecting the pairs reduces the electromagnetic field around the cable, which could be beneficial in your cable conduit. (ie. wht-brn+wht-or for spk+ and brn+or for spk-)
I doubt the Elk single gang speaker would disclose any further investment in speaker cable.

Regards!
Erwin.

Very cool, thanks for that, very helpful. I'm going to run wiring this weekend, speakers coming next week, didn't feel like going to buy yet more cable for just this stuff.

On the extra 4 conductors, double up on the conductors and you should have no problems driving the 32 ohm speaker.

Back