[CCTV Camera] airCam

I own this camera, very happy with it. Wish it was a little smaller, and IP66 rated, but it seems to be holding up in our harsh winters.   One of the better best-bang-for-the-buck cameras out there, and can be purchased via many popular stores, vs. having to import it from Hong Kong.

I have two outside today and they are doing well.  One now for over a year.  First Aircam was purchased in the EU before sales began here in the US.

I don't have a native version of these shots, I only uploaded these as placeholders.  I just took a snapshot (vlcsnap-2013-02-21-17h58m42s87.png), taken @ 5:58pm EST 02/21/2013 in Central NY, so you can see it's almost dark.  Night vision isn't that great (hence the pixelation, etc.), but this is something I accept.  I have an analog cam with an IR cut filter installed right next to it, I will add it to the list, so you can compare.

edit: I just uploaded a snapshot (airCam-2013-02-21-18h20m47s27.jpg) which shows the airCam, in total darkness, with only a standard set of floodlights turned on.

Correct, it is basically just injecting the power on unused pairs within the Cat5/6 cable, it does not follow the 802.3af/at standard most switches adhere to.

These caneras appear to not do any motion detection nor can they send a trigger to anything (such as a httpget request).

While they might have a good picture, if they can't be integrated they dont have much use [to me at least].

While a NVR can create the triggers, I dont want an NVR just to do that when there are cameras out there that will do it built in.

Mick

Yup; the Ubiquiti AirCam isn't sold as providing the features of motion detection.  

Personally I purchased said IP cameras for weather watching. 

The price of miniaturization of the required CPU power and OS and current  algorhythms to process motion detection is still rather high and what you can get is just OK; but the race is on to provide better features at a lower cost. 

Still even at $1000 a camera; the meat is not done relating to the science of motion detection.

Outdoors, relating to environment and using IR; its even more difficult. 

Geez; especially when its snowing or raining or windy or when there are thousands of insects flying around (on a hot summer night for example).

The above written and noted it does sort of mangle the ability to use these features. 

It can be almost done though; for a price.

That said its not a "perfect" science; it's very good these days; but its not soup yet.

Really though all I wanted to do was post an Aircam night picture of a video post processed en vivo using VLC as an example of what you can see with the Aircam at night.

My upload though is 1.8 Mb so its a bit too big.  Here is a link instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u8vtuv8zxx1tys/vlcsnap-2013-02-24-23h39m47s184.png

George M said:
I see that POE is propitiatory. Does that mean it will not work with a POE switch?
Natively that's correct - but Ubiquiti sells an Instant 802.3af adapter that's compatible with most of their products including the AirCam that make them compliant with traditional POE switches; they come in indoor and outdoor versions.  They also now have 5 and 8 port switches that will power their devices.  The 5 port ones only do the 24V passive on the line; the 8 port can do 48V as well (still non compliant - just passive power on the wire).

I'll include the adapter info in the notes section.  I'm wondering why they aren't supporting 802.11af out of the box, unless it would drive up the cost significantly.

Here I purchased Tycon mid-span switches (small 8 port to larger 24 port). 

While I haven't used them yet for the Ubiquiti devices; one of the 8 port POE/midspan switches has non compliant POE injection that allows me to utilize DC POE or AC POE on whatever pins.

I only have three Ubiquiti devices and it is a PITA to have one propietary non compliant POE injector per device right now. 

Just uploaded more pictures.  The auto white balance feature can be a little too aggressive when dealing with a lot of snow.  If anyone else has this camera, please upload some of your snapshots.

Attach these pictures (original res, but compressed please) to the camera record please :)

Back