Ceiling Fan Control

Jrock

I know this topic has been covered a million times and full control of a ceiling fan is not easily accomplished. Anyway, here is what I am trying to do...

I have two Hampton Bay remote control ceiling fans, both are the same model. Each fan has separate upper and lower lights. Both fans are wired without a switch so full control is currently done only with the remotes. I ordered 2 PCS-FMD2-4 from AO (they will be here tomorrow!) to control the lights - one channel for each light. Now there is the fan... Since I can not find a simple way to control fan speeds without a hum I am resorting to using the remote that came with it. My question is, is there any way to still use the light buttons on the remote along with the UPB modules? For example if the top light is off via UPB can I turn it on with the fan remote? I am thinking no, but figured I would ask anyway!

BTW, this is the only source of light in both rooms so I want to be able to control them with my Oiie.

Thanks,
-Jeff

edit: I just re-read my post and was thinking there is no way this will work. If the remote was used to turn the light off there is no way for it to be turned back on via UPB.

I am not sure what you mean by full control, but I have my ceiling fan under full control via C-bus.

While I dont have the light options for the fan, adding these is trivial.

I use the supplied capacitor with three relay outputs. I have all three speeds available (plus a fourth super slow if I really want) through a remote, C-Bus switch, and CQC (cause I use CQC with C-Bus, but that is neither hear nor there).

Ceiling fan integration is relatively straight forward.

now if you are talking about full control as being control over the speed through the entire range, such as using it with a dimmer, then yes, you may get some hum, you may not.

The concept should be the same across any lighting system to integrate a fan with three speeds or more. Use the supplied cap and wire it in as required.

Mick

Wow! I have been researching this for a while and searching on other forums and no one has ever made it as simple and/or straightforward as you. I am perfectly fine with the 3 speeds built into the fan. By full control I meant the same control that the fans remote offers me.

I just scanned the wiring diagram. I was going to upload it to give people a better idea of how things are currently wired, but I guess I don't need to do that now.

Thank you,
-Jeff

First of all, you should NEVER connect a ceiling fan to a dimmer switch NOT designed to power fan motors. It is against code, and a fire hazard. The built-in three-speed controls of a fan (remote control or not) takes each speed into consideration so the heat generated by the motor is cooled by the fan. A "dimmer" switch does not take that into consideration, allowing the heat buildup in the fan to exceed the fan's ability to cool it. Most dimmers just adjust the duty cycle of a load, whereby the three-speed selector uses various capacitors to adjust the speed.

Next removing the remote control that fan makers install, and allowing full control using automation is not trivial unless you have an electrical background. The easiest conversion is to remove the remote control the fan maker installs, and convert it to a "normal" 3-speed fan like you used to buy, then use a normal UPB relay or non-dimmable switch to turn it on and off, and use a pull-chain to adjust the speed. Also, you can bypass the remote so the lamps are controllable and dimmable with a regular UPB switch. All of these things are possible, and pretty easy to modify if you have the skills, but if you don't, don't attempt it and make sure you always honor all electrical codes.

First of all, you should NEVER connect a ceiling fan to a dimmer switch NOT designed to power fan motors. It is against code, and a fire hazard. The built-in three-speed controls of a fan (remote control or not) takes each speed into consideration so the heat generated by the motor is cooled by the fan. A "dimmer" switch does not take that into consideration, allowing the heat buildup in the fan to exceed the fan's ability to cool it. Most dimmers just adjust the duty cycle of a load, whereby the three-speed selector uses various capacitors to adjust the speed.

Next removing the remote control that fan makers install, and allowing full control using automation is not trivial unless you have an electrical background. The easiest conversion is to remove the remote control the fan maker installs, and convert it to a "normal" 3-speed fan like you used to buy, then use a normal UPB relay or non-dimmable switch to turn it on and off, and use a pull-chain to adjust the speed. Also, you can bypass the remote so the lamps are controllable and dimmable with a regular UPB switch. All of these things are possible, and pretty easy to modify if you have the skills, but if you don't, don't attempt it and make sure you always honor all electrical codes.
Ano, thanks for this feedback. I've got INSTEON in my home and have recently thought about trying to automate the fans. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to suck it up and just stick with the remotes that came with the fans.

Ano, thanks for this feedback. I've got INSTEON in my home and have recently thought about trying to automate the fans. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to suck it up and just stick with the remotes that came with the fans.

I have a ceiling fan automated by a Insteon Icon switch (not the dimmer version). Every minute my Elk reads the temp from the RC80 thermostat and determines whether to turn the fan on or off. It works quite well.

Edit: whoops, I just realized you said they are wired without a switch.

In my family room we use both the remote and automated it. A motion detector turns the switch on, then my wife will take the remote and turn it on or off depending if she is to hot or too cold any particular second. Then, a hour after motion stops, the fan switch turns off. So it works well, the wife can control it with the remote, but it still shuts off when we leave and forget to turn it off. (When the switch is on, the fan won't start until the remote turns it on. It doesn't remember its last state.)

Back