[CES] 2006 Exclusive Update

BraveSirRobbin

Please read THIS General CES 2006 Update Disclaimer FIRST:

I quickly visited the following booths.

Channel Vision
They had a new eight output phone demarcation/distribution patch system which caught my eye (lower right of the picture below). Visit channelvision.com for more information:

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

Creative Lab's
Creative Lab's Zen Vision M was awarded "Best of CES" so I thought a picture was in order.

Induction Dynamics
These are amazing "In-Wall" Speakers that are mounted to an aluminum plate (which goes in-between the studs behind your drywall). The speakers are designed to then use the drywall and it's mount to "project" the sound from them. This was pretty cool as you saw just finished drywall from the other side, yet heard music coming "from the wall".

In Wall Speaker's Mounting Plate (Behind Drywall Between 19" Centered Studs):

Nobu Touch Screen
Here is a picture of Nobu's new fanless touch screen monitor. It has a Pentium (over 1GHZ) processor. Visit www.nobu-usa.com for more information.
Nobu Touch Screen Front:

Nobu Touch Screen Rear:

VMP (Video Mount Products):
I stumbled onto this VERY simple mounting solution for a small LCD monitor (say 15" touch screen that you want to mount outside your wall). It uses two pieces that slide together, one mounts on the wall, the other on the touchscreen. It comes with all the necessary mounting for the various VESA standards out there and provides a nice solution that will keep the monitor secure and VERY close to the wall (minimum gap between the wall and monitor's case). Visit www.videomount.com for more information.
EDIT: Mount Link

Monitor Mount Side View (two pieces shown mated together):

Monitor Mounts:

In-Wall Speakers (Sorry, but I could not find the vendor's card in my stack):
These are amazing "in-wall" speakers that are mounted to an aluminum plate (which goes in-between the studs behind your drywall). The speakers are designed to then use the drywall and it's mount to "project" the sound from them. This was pretty cool as you saw just finished drywall from the other side, yet heard music coming "from the wall".
How good did these actually sound? In your original pic can you read the vendors name from his shirt? Can't make it out in these reduced pics.

Stealth Acoustics produces a competing product to the company that BRS shows above. These use traditional speaker drivers instead of the aluminum transducers but are imbeded in the wall the same way and can be painted or wallpapered over for an "invisible" speaker.

I heard the Stealth Acoustic speakers at EHX where they had a mock living room with 4 walls and a 5.1 surround systems installed using thier products. I was amazed at how good the sound quality was and it was instersting to be sitting on a sofa in front of a plasma surrounded with all the sound and no visible speakers anywhere!

These speakers are less efficient than a standard in-wall speaker due to the design and probably wouldn't hold up to a side by side comparison with a high-end speaker, but after the demo, I'd install them in my house!

Cheers,
Paul

Regarding StealthAcoustics: Of all of the products I have installed for customers (in my Integrator days), this was the only one that my wife said "I want those in our house."

hhnew said:
I believe that the in-wall speakers in BSR's post might be Induction Dynamics
http://www.soliddrive.com/applications.shtml
Yes, that is the vendor, Induction Dynamics (I can sort of see that name on the guys shirt when I blow it up).

As far as sound quality, they were good, but that is relative to the person. I would put them in my wall if I was planning on a flat screen TV mounting on the same wall with nothing else planned for mounting around that TV (all you would see would be the TV on the wall).

I saw and heard some of the concealed wall speakers are the MAHUG meeting back in December held at Rick Tinkers house. I don't know what brand he has installed. As was mentioned before, they probably wouldn't win in a side-to-side comparison to a regular mount speaker of the same cost, but many people (including myself) would prefer them regardless.

One hidden danger that Tink mentioned. Be careful that everything else mounted to the wall is secure. Tink has small shelves with memorabilia mounted on the same wall, and the memorabilia started vibrating off the shelves whenever the speakers were used. It would be a major hit to the WAF if her prized pottery took a nosedive.

VMP (Video Mount Products)

I purchased something similar from Radio Shack last week for $40. My wife loves it for the minimalist computer in the baby's room: a 15" LCD wall mounted with one of these brackets and a 36" bracketless shelfbelow for the wireless keyboard, mouse and some "desk" space. The computer is in a closet on the other side of the wall. Keyboard, mouse, monitor and shelf are all white.

EDIT:
QM100FDSL.jpg

I purchased the video mount kit shown above:

I haven't used it yet, but it seems very similar to the one Jeff mentioned, except it came with more adapters.

Can't remember how much I paid but I believe it was less than $40 (will look it up if anyone is interested).

Jeff:

How exactly does that bracketless shelf work? Do you have any pics of the shelf and mount?

Thanks for posting this info! :unsure:

Back