[CES] Exclusive Update - NETGEAR

BraveSirRobbin

CES 2007 Exclusive Update - Netgear

Notice: Please be aware that information gathered from the various vendors’ booths was done at an incredibly fast and furious pace. The purpose of these updates is to make our members aware of the new technologies introduced during the show as quickly as possible. Some details and statements may have been (unintentionally) misinterpreted and thus not be entirely correct/accurate during this process.

I made a very quick visit to Netgear's booth. I was intrigued by their Ethernet networking distribution using your home's power line. They offered various modules with the best one boasting 200mb/sec speed rating.

This unit won the CES 2007 best innovation award. They are approximately $180 per pair and you can place ten inside a typical home.

The faster model will let you stream HD content from your computer and also has "Quality of Service" feature that will prioritize the streaming content so it will prevent interruptions of the streamed signal.

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

These units are great for the older home that may not have Cat5e type network cabling distributed throughout their home and also do not want a wireless network solution.

Netgear also offers home theater distribution module used to stream media to your tv via your home network. A typical layout scheme is also shown below.

networking distribution using the power lines is nice, but how will it interfere with powerline control systems like X-10, Insteon, or UPB?

DeLicious said:
networking distribution using the power lines is nice, but how will it interfere with powerline control systems like X-10, Insteon, or UPB?
I asked that question. Unfortunately they didn't know the answer.

I'm going to have to dig into their theater distribution thinggy. I need something like that. I'm becoming of the opinion that IP should be doing all the communication in our houses and trying to move that way....

I have another brand of ethernet over the powerline that is rated at 8 MB. I use it for video streaming from a camera in an outbuilding. No interference with UPB or X10.

Back