Cheap controllable relays?

beelzerob

I'm clearly seeing the need to have relays at my command. Currently my only means of controlling would be from a PC, most likely via CQC.

The Elk 924 has been recommended, but I don't have an Elk (yet!).

The only other option I'm aware of is the DataNab Ai8-R13, which comes with a very nice 13 relays, and 8 other analog inputs for various sensors. That's definitely the leading contender, as it already has a CQC driver and I've been able to play around with one and it works just great.

But if I didn't want to wait until I could afford one of those (if anything costs more than $10, it has to wait!), and wanted just a cheapo, maybe 1 or 2 relay thing....are there any options anyone is aware of?

I'm clearly seeing the need to have relays at my command. Currently my only means of controlling would be from a PC, most likely via CQC.

The Elk 924 has been recommended, but I don't have an Elk (yet!).

The only other option I'm aware of is the DataNab Ai8-R13, which comes with a very nice 13 relays, and 8 other analog inputs for various sensors. That's definitely the leading contender, as it already has a CQC driver and I've been able to play around with one and it works just great.

But if I didn't want to wait until I could afford one of those (if anything costs more than $10, it has to wait!), and wanted just a cheapo, maybe 1 or 2 relay thing....are there any options anyone is aware of?

I've found http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/depa...s.asp?dept=1114 to be the best source for various relays

Unfortunately, I'm a complete relay newb and tinkering handicapped....so I'd need something controllable from the outset. I'm presuming that about the only way would be via RS232 and a PC. So it would have to be somewhat self-contained.

Unfortunately, I'm a complete relay newb and tinkering handicapped....so I'd need something controllable from the outset. I'm presuming that about the only way would be via RS232 and a PC. So it would have to be somewhat self-contained.
Lots of options HERE.

Neat, thanks! What a great site!

I'm guessing that those are probably at the bottom of what I can expect to pay for a simple controllable relay....they don't get much more basic than that!

Now here's the bonus question....how do I know what kind/amperage to get? I had only ever just thought of a relay as a closed contact...so it just shorts two contacts. I hadn't ever thought about amperage or anything else.

what about an A/C relay (w/socket from Rat shack $11), plus an appliance module. Takes a little soldering (and you also have to buy a quik-plug, $0.69) but they work great for me
/j

relay: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search
socket: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

you can solder to the socket with the relay unplugged, and if it ever wears out, just plug in a new one.

Note - these DON'T work with INSTEON ICON On/off modules. Work great with INSTEON or X-10 Appliance modules.

For use with CQC you have the Barix Barionet - it is more than a relay, more like PLC

Then there is the offering from ToyMaster on his online store (Kanak Solutions I think it is). They are more just remote I/O with a CQC driver. Do a search over there and you should find a post about it.

Mick

Then there is the offering from ToyMaster on his online store (Kanak Solutions I think it is). They are more just remote I/O with a CQC driver. Do a search over there and you should find a post about it.

Mick

Ya, that was the DataNab I mentioned in the top post. Still a good deal, I think, for 13 relays and 8 inputs/counters. And the driver is top notch! :eek: I have to see if I'm going to saturate my Ai32 32 analog inputs first, and if I do, then maybe getting the Ai8R13 would be a good idea.

Here is a fairly cheap alternative if you already have a Z-wave network in your house.

Intermatic Intouch CA3750

Google it I belive it has three contactors, could be a little excessive as far as ratings...

Back