Cheap IP Cameras..

jpkishere

So have been lurking, watching the debate on IP cameras vs traditional style..

I guess maybe I don't understand cameras well enough, but if I can get a IP camera for around $100

http://www.gadspot.com/product_info.php?&products_id=56
http://www.gadspot.com/product_info.php?&products_id=30

Versus the $500 some others have discussed - what does 400 extra bucks get me?

I am basically looking for a couple things from my cameras:
- Hoping to scare away would be thieves w/ just the view of tht camera
- Actual Pics of a theft, etc. did occur

For that matter, I kinda hope I never do need to actually "use" the footage they tape..

That's about it - I saw some sample photos from the gadspot cameras above and they seem fine for what I am looking for -- certainly not perfect at night, but the pictures I saw weren't have bad either..

One more question -- i will be mounting these cameras under eves and in a deck outside - do I really need an outdoor camera or housing for this? As long as they are covered from water will I be fine?

I even have 6 or 7 traditional color camera's I could use, but I think I would rather sell them then have to install a DVR card in my PC, and worry aabout my PC being up all the time, etc..

1st with humidity and potential splashing (even under the eves) you really do need an outdoor camera and that is certainly a big part of the cost difference.

Other differences probably include:

Pan/Tilt
Low light operation
resolution
refresh (need 30 fps).

- Hoping to scare away would be thieves w/ just the view of tht camera
I have seen dummy cameras on the Internet really cheap for just that purpose.

One more question -- i will be mounting these cameras under eves and in a deck outside - do I really need an outdoor camera or housing for this? As long as they are covered from water will I be fine?
Outside cameras can withstand temperatures down to about -5F. If moisture gets into the camera and freezes - good bye camera. Even if you live in an area where the temperature never goes below freezing, moisture can damage the internal circuitry.

I plan to use fixed outside weatherproof low-light infrared cameras at about $140. I am not interested in pan/tilt/zoom outside.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Also, be aware that those cameras have "CMOS" sensors vs CCD.
From my somewhat basic understanding CCD just gives you better night vision? or is there some other benefit?

MRL said:
I plan to use fixed outside weatherproof low-light infrared cameras at about $140. I am not interested in pan/tilt/zoom outside.

Is this an IP camera or ??

QUOTE (MRL)

Is this an IP camera or ??
It is not an IP camera. I will be going with the GeoVision 4-channel 30fps per channel DVR card GV-800-4 (not cheap $379 less 5% intro discount) and will be setting up an Intel P4 2.8GHz PC as a camera server since I hope to have 4 outside cameras.

jpkishere said:
From my somewhat basic understanding CCD just gives you better night vision? or is there some other benefit?
Generally, CCDs give you cleaner output than CMOS sensors. There are high-end CMOS sensors, like Canon uses in their DSLR type cameras, but those are MUCH larger than the CCDs used in their cheaper lines. For something like this, when you're comparing a 1/4" CMOS sensor to a 1/4" CCD sensor, the CCD will almost alwaysa give you a much better picture.

Price is something to watch for. Some IP camera manufacturers have been around for a while so they think their standing in the market can justify their prices. A lot of new companies are coming out that offer the same specs as some cameras but offer them at a lower price. A good comparison is Axis vs. 4XEM.

Alright, so I went digging through all my camera stuff floating around and found the following which I think should work..

I have 3 or 4 Rainbow BC70WNP bullet cameras which on rainbow's website they say are weather resistant, and since they are hanging under the eves, etc I am thinking they will work fine..

I am guessing what I am missing then is some IR to do night vision? is there an add on I can run for that?

Also, I have a Pelco Genex 16 port Duplex Color Multiplexer - could I plug the 4 cameras into that, then output that to a single port DVR card?

I have some other cameras as well, but I am trying to make some of them hard to see so they don't present an eyesore in the front of the house.. The others one's I can use some of the bigger ones I have..

Anybody wanna trade a bunch of analog camers, etc for some IP ones?

I was in a place that had today's paper and noticed my local fry's had (I think) "airlink" wireless IP cameras for something like $80.

Might want to browse a fry's ad if you have one in your area.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I was in a place that had today's paper and noticed my local fry's had (I think) "airlink" wireless IP cameras for something like $80.

Might want to browse a fry's ad if you have one in your area.
No need for wireless since the house is getting constructed, so I can run whatever..

Just don't like the thought of dedicating another PC to video capture..

Unfortunately no Frye's in NC - went to one a year or two ago in San Jose, and couldn't believe what they had - wish we had one here.

jpkishere said:
No need for wireless since the house is getting constructed, so I can run whatever..

Just don't like the thought of dedicating another PC to video capture..
You can do wired IP cameras. No PC and no wireless hassles either.

Back