cheap whole house audio

Napes

I'm looking to create a cheap whole house audio solution for a customer. It seems that they will eventually go with a MDS-6 or DAB1, but in the mean time they are looking to have 6 zones with minimal cost.

Would a simple stereo receiver (They own a HK3380...80Wx2) with rotary volume controls and speaker selector switch suffice, or is that to taxing? If so, would just an additional 2 channel amp help or would a 12 channel be the only way to go? Remember, minimizing the price now would allow for them to spend more down the road.

Leviton Digital Chopin hardware is very cheap and will give you all the zones you need from your 80 watt source.

Thanks.

John, A little more equipment then I'm looking to use. This is more of a temporary system. Thanks, thou, it looks like a fun system to mess with.

Mike, could I get by with the 1x6 Audio Module($50 model) plus some impedance-matching volume controls? I'm not looking for some dynamic sound in each room. In fact, it's better that I don't in order for my customer to understand why spending a little bit more is better.

Napes

That could work as long as you can confirm what load the amplifier will see. Am Impedance Bridge is very useful when throwing something like this together.

Well, as of yesterday, it seems that my customer will not go with a more advanced system. He is content with not being able to use different sources in different zones. He wants sliding volume controls and wants to use his HK AVR430 to power his first level and in his "theater" (I use the term lightly) room, he will only have a 5.1 and use the multi-room off that for his exercise room. I think the builder is going to sell him an Integra receiver that he took in trade (I think he said he took 4 of them) when another A/V company went bankrupt.

As I'm sure many of you know that certain customers can't see the benefit of spending a bit more for a more advanced system. It usually comes down to money. Now I will definitely be selling him a 12-channel amp to handle the 6 zones he has down stairs. Of course, if he would be willing to spend another few hundred for something like a MDS-6, he would be better off, but what can you do? Some people can't see the forest through the trees.

So, is there is a 12 channel amp around the $700 price range (retail)?

For the cost of the 12 Channel amp + volume controls, you could probably get them going with an A-Bus system for similar $$$.

This would provide 4 sources and 4 zones in up to 8 rooms starting with the Russound A-MK401 kit and adding extra keypads as required.

This not only gets a nice contemporary keypad, but also provides IR distribution for source control and the ability for local source inputs to connect a TV, CD Player or iPod that may be located within a room.

I think something like this would be a much more desirable solution and is something they would probably be happy with for a long time (eliminating the need to upgrade down the road).

Cheers,
Paul

Napes, another alternative
www.cinemaronline.com/hardware.ampsolutions.html
Good for lower volume listening locations.
Higher power solution is in the works.

Napes said:
I'm looking to create a cheap whole house audio solution for a customer. It seems that they will eventually go with a MDS-6 or DAB1, but in the mean time they are looking to have 6 zones with minimal cost.

Would a simple stereo receiver (They own a HK3380...80Wx2) with rotary volume controls and speaker selector switch suffice, or is that to taxing? If so, would just an additional 2 channel amp help or would a 12 channel be the only way to go? Remember, minimizing the price now would allow for them to spend more down the road.
it will work fine with the receiver ........ but get V/C's with impedance matching so you dont need a speaker selector. down the line it would be best to get a 12 channel amp but for now it will work fine

jeffx said:
I use a M-Audio Delta sound card with multiple Sonic Impact T-Amps. Audiophile sound quality from both pieces of hardware.
I'm heading down the same path- I have my Deltas, and I'm going to be running multiple instances of winamp through Housebot to get my independent zone controls.

I'm working on a simple amp design- I think I'm around half the cost of the Sonic impacts, but then I'm not going for audiophile performance. I'll check my BOM though- hate to end up spending more!

jeffx said:
I use a M-Audio Delta sound card with multiple Sonic Impact T-Amps. Audiophile sound quality from both pieces of hardware.

See this post for details:

http://forum.cinemaronlineforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8792
What speakers are you using in your system? I'm very interested in this approach (if the T-amps ever get back in stock), but I am nervous about speaker selection given the 15watt output of the T-amps.

Specifically I would be purchasing in-wall and/or in-ceiling speakers and wondered what you have that is working well.

Back