Chirp the siren when arming with the keyfob

mikefamig

I installed a siren on my Elk today planning to have it chirp when I arm the system using the keyfob. It's installed in the detached garage and switched by one of the outputs on an M1XOVR  because the M1 panel is in a separate building. In order to to test the wiring I added a new task and then wrote a rule to turn the output on when the task is executed. Now this all works fine but I was disappointed to see that the shortest time that I can turn the output on for is one second which is a lot more than a chirp.

So next I looked at the install manual and learned that the M1 has a rule that will "chirp" what they call the outside siren. I'm guessing that they mean out2 when they refer to "outside siren".

So my questions -

does outside siren mean out2?

does anyone have an idea on how to get a short burst of current to the siren using just the OVR and a 12 volt power source? Maybe a device that emits a chirp rather than a continuous sound?

or maybe it can be done through rules?

Any thoughts? Mike.

OK I slept on this and came up with a solution. All of my door and window sensors in the house use 22/4 cable so they each have an unused pair of wires. This will allow me to put a siren at or near any door or window and connect it to out2 on the M1 panel.

I currently have a 115db siren that DELinstallations generously gave me to experiment with and it makes pretty good noise but it is installed in the garage now so I'm going to get a second noise maker to attach to out2 in the house. I plan to use it to chirp when the system arms and possibly in an intrusion.

I plan to install the siren indoors which leads to my next question - Can anyone recommend a small and very loud 12 volt noise maker?

Mike.

EDIT

Thinking some more it occurs to me that out2 will have to be attached to a speaker rather than a siren if I plan to use chirp or any other system sounds so I don't need a siren at all. Funny but just the act of typing questions here helps me to think.

I have a strobe attached to my external siren above my garage, so I use that to show arm status. I have a long list of rules that verifies everything is good when arming with my keyfob and the siren will chirp if there is anything that is not secure.

For interior noise makers I have GE piezo screamers around the house. However.... they will only go off if the system is in away mode. I use them as my GTFO deterrent for when the house is unoccupied since they are extremely loud. When I am there... I have a different way.

video321 said:
I have a strobe attached to my external siren above my garage, so I use that to show arm status. I have a long list of rules that verifies everything is good when arming with my keyfob and the siren will chirp if there is anything that is not secure.

For interior noise makers I have GE piezo screamers around the house. However.... they will only go off if the system is in away mode. I use them as my GTFO deterrent for when the house is unoccupied since they are extremely loud. When I am there... I have a different way.

What is your external siren connected to on the M1? If it is connected to out2 then is out2 set to 12vdc or voice output? Do you use the "chirp" rule to make the sound when you arm?

Mike.

It's on out2 set to siren. It was a voltage siren, but I clipped it so I didn't have to worry about it drawing too much power without having a secondary ps.

I'd have to check my rules to see what exactly it is, but I only "chirp" the siren (3) times when the house is not secure - I use the strobe to give me a visual without disturbing my neighbors, especially if arming late at night. The reason I have the chirp is because when using my keyfob to arm, the system will automatically bypass a zone that is not ready. So, I used a rule to check the system (that rule is stated along the lines of "area x is ready to arm") to verify everything is ok before either arming away or chirping the siren to tell me something isn't right. At that point when I go back into the house the keypad will show what zone is violated.

It would be a big help if you could tell me what the rule looks like to chirp the siren and confirm that your out2 is set to send 12vdc out. I am not clear on what the Elk rule to chirp the siren does. I was thinking that it sent a system sound to a speaker but you say that you are set to siren.

I need to know what the M1 does when you fire the chirp rule. Does it send a system sound out to a speaker or does it send a short 12vdc blip to a self contained siren?

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I need to know what the M1 does when you fire the chirp rule. Does it send a system sound out to a speaker or does it send a short 12vdc blip to a self contained siren?

When you chirp the siren, it will send either sound or voltage to Out2, depending on how Out2 is configured.

Thanks RAL

So I can imagine that the M1 has a built-in chirp sound that it can output when out2 is set to speaker but what exactly does it do when set to 12vdc? Is it going to turn on for a fraction of a second and then turn off?

Mike-
Mine is set to siren output, which is for a speaker, NOT voltage which is for a 12v driven siren.

video321 said:
Mike-
Mine is set to siren output, which is for a speaker, NOT voltage which is for a 12v driven siren.
That is how I imagined it would work. I wonder what it sounds like if you set it to 12vdc, hook up a continuous siren and tell it to chirp?

No, the siren is an ATW DS-50 but any 12 volt siren would work here. It is a little over 100 db and has two built-in sounds.

Back