CO Sensor Help

ctwilliams

I am trying to install my CO sensors (the GE version) and have three questions. First, with this, or I guess with any sensor that can be configured both ways, is it better to use "normally open" or normally closed"? I have gone through several threads where the definitions were discussed, but did not see anything saying one or the other was better or worse.

On the Elk M1, what configuration type should I use for the CO sensors?

Do I need to install the supervision relays on these like on the smoke detectors?

Thanks,

CT

My personal opinion is to alway try to configure as Normally Closed. This provides you with a more "security enabled" sensor in that even if a tamper zone isn't configured, removing the sensor will cause an alarm. This way if a chair smashes against and removes the CO from the wall, you'll know it.

A NO approach won't fail if I tear it out of the wall, unless the wires short causing an alarm. Ripping sensors out that are NC, will result in an alarm.

ctwilliams said:
I am trying to install my CO sensors (the GE version) and have three questions. First, with this, or I guess with any sensor that can be configured both ways, is it better to use "normally open" or normally closed"? I have gone through several threads where the definitions were discussed, but did not see anything saying one or the other was better or worse.

On the Elk M1, what configuration type should I use for the CO sensors?

Do I need to install the supervision relays on these like on the smoke detectors?

Thanks,

CT
Type 17 is for a carbon monoxide sensor.

Assuming you are using end-of-line resistors it is fine to wire it N/O as the circuit is supervised and will cause a fault if the wire is cut, or an alarm if it is shorted.

Won't change it, but the ZT on panels only supports a NO circuit, as it also needs to report a trouble condition, not just an alarm, as well as an end of life signal.

My gas detector model is Macurco GD2. Don't see anything about being or not compatible with the M1. Are they ok to connect as NO. But I need to check for a resistor right?

Back