Comcast and NextAlarm

v1rtu0s1ty

Hi folks, is anyone here with Comcast and your service is from Nextalarm? Did you have to buy the ABN adapter? Thanks.

Found out from somewhere that I can make it work by using SIA format. Where in M1 do I change it to SIA?

Thanks!

EDIT: Disregard, ELK support told me that I can find it in Telephone menu. Change ContactID to SIA reporting format

For folks using Next Alarm

I think, this is the proper thread where I should post my question on the other thread. It's more related to ELK's reporting format and Nextalarm.

please look at my alarm history report which I copied from Nextalarm webpage. Is Nextalarm able to properly decipher my signals?

first 2 rows are contactid format
3rd and 4th row are pulse 4+2
remaining rows are SIA FSK reporting format

http://www.4290greenfieldlanehome.com/nextalarm.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This is great. I'm with Comcast and I'm using Arris TM402 modem for both voice and data. Anyways, going back to NextAlarm and my VoIP. When I was filling out the form, I was told by the webpage to buy the ABN. However, I tried testing my system first last night and this was NextAlarm's response, actually 2 responses.

Me
Hi,

I did some testing last night. Can you tell from the picture link below if my system is able to send the signal properly?
I was testing my motion sensor. I armed my system and tripped is several times. This is what I got.
Rows 1 and 2 were using ContactID reporting format. Rows 3 & 4, I used Pulse 4+2 format, and the other remaining rows were using SIA FSK reporting format.

http://www.4290greenfieldlanehome.com/nextalarm.gif

Thanks,

NextAlarm's response

We do not accept attachments through our service ticket system so we are unable to view your attachment however we are able to view your raw signals. We did receive SIA signals, they were your first events we then received your 4X2 events and lastly your Contact ID events. When you review your history on line you can view 4x2 and Contact ID events but you will not be able to view the SIA events (only the time of the event).

me again
Are you saying that all the 3 reporting formats I sent during testing were sent properly by my system and received properly by your system? Are you seeing something not normal though?

Thanks,
NextAlarm's response

Hello,

We received all the signals properly. However, we recommend setting the
system to send in Contact ID only. The last few signals we received
from your system were in Contact ID, and were fine.

Regards,
Customer Service

I was hoping to use Comcast and NextAlarm also. It seem like you are further along in the process than I am - I am still getting things wired.

Do you have Comcast Digital Voice (VOIP) or are you using Comcast Internet + ABN adapter?

Is this your primary mode of connecting to monitoring service?

IncrdblHulk9 said:
I was hoping to use Comcast and NextAlarm also. It seem like you are further along in the process than I am - I am still getting things wired.

Do you have Comcast Digital Voice (VOIP) or are you using Comcast Internet + ABN adapter?

I have Comcast Digital Voice. I subscribed for the TriplePlay package which includes Internet, Digital Cable and Digital Voice.

I don't have ABN adapter.

Is this your primary mode of connecting to monitoring service?

Yes, NextAlarm's phone number is the primary number in my ELK system.

Just in case you ask, attached is how I did the wiring

Attachments

• basic_wiring_diagram.gif
    basic_wiring_diagram.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 56
I am guessing that your Arris modem - is a rented Cable+Phone Modem from Comcast.

That throws a wrinkle in my setup plans. I was offered the Comcast TriplePlay package, but I opted for only Cable+Internet - since I use my cell for all phone calls and was worried about Digital Phone compatibility with my alarm.

Plus I own my cable modem - I dont rent it.

Have you had any problems with the DigitalPhone service? Maybe I should upgrade???

Currently I have ...

CableModem(2nd Floor) -> Wireless router(2nd floor) -> Network Switch(basement)

Do you know if the following is possible ...

ArrisModem(basement) -> NetworkSwitch(basement) -> Wireless Router(2nd floor)

I guess if I just stick with my current plan (Internet+Cable) and buy the NextAlarm ABN adapter - I should be ok as-is.

The only snag would be that my alarm would ONLY be able to call nextAlarm via ABn adapter. But, I guess that is not bad - since I beleive NextAlarm can notify me of alarm/non-alarm conditions.

For example, lets say I hook up some water sensors in my basement. Can my alarm contact NextAlarm via ABN regarding water problem. And then NextAlarm would react my either calling or emailing me - NOT notify the authorities? Originally I was going to get the Elk panel to call me directly - but the ABN limits this.

IncrdblHulk9 said:
I am guessing that your Arris modem - is a rented Cable+Phone Modem from Comcast.
Yes, it's a rented modem from Comcast.

That throws a wrinkle in my setup plans.  I was offered the Comcast TriplePlay package, but I opted for only Cable+Internet - since I use my cell for all phone calls and was worried about Digital Phone compatibility with my alarm.

Plus I own my cable modem - I dont rent it.
Yep, I have my old motorola modem and I own it too. I used it in my previous house.

Have you had any problems with the DigitalPhone service?  Maybe I should upgrade???

I've been lucky so far. :)

Currently I have ...

CableModem(2nd Floor) -> Wireless router(2nd floor) -> Network Switch(basement)

Do you know if the following is possible ...

ArrisModem(basement) -> NetworkSwitch(basement) -> Wireless Router(2nd floor)

Let's see. I need to draw it first by hand. :lol:

after 1 minute ..... :p

Ah, yes, that will work. Here is my current setup too. I was not really detailed on my previous drawing for the LAN part.

ArrisModem(basement) -> NetworkSwitch(basement)->FreeBSD Unix

I'll take a pic tonight.

The FreeBSD box is somewhat synonymous to your Wireless Router(2nd floor). The FreeBSD is a Unix variant just like Linux, Solaris, etc. Anyways, my FreeBSD's role is the gateway to my private network. I also installed a wireless card(rather than physical wireless router like Linksys). I configured this wireless card as an Access Point. That means, my FreeBSD uses a public dynamic ip address obtained via DHCP. In your case, it's your Wireless Router that will obtain the public dynamic ip address. Then it will masquerade all your traffic from the inside network to outside. Another reason why I wanted to use an unix operating system rather than wireless router is that, so I can serve webpages and host my own email server too. That server is http://restricted.dyndns.org

I hope this helps.

IncrdblHulk9 said:
I guess if I just stick with my current plan (Internet+Cable) and buy the NextAlarm ABN adapter - I should be ok as-is.

The only snag would be that my alarm would ONLY be able to call nextAlarm via ABn adapter. But, I guess that is not bad - since I beleive NextAlarm can notify me of alarm/non-alarm conditions.

For example, lets say I hook up some water sensors in my basement. Can my alarm contact NextAlarm via ABN regarding water problem. And then NextAlarm would react my either calling or emailing me - NOT notify the authorities? Originally I was going to get the Elk panel to call me directly - but the ABN limits this.
I still haven't read much about ABN's features. I'm sorry.

NextAlarm either supports ContactID if you have a voice line (not VoIP, as the quality is not good enough) or over broadband if you are using their adapter. There is no reliable solution over VoIP.

I've been using NextAlarm with Contact ID format over VOIP for several months. I set up my panel to send a test signal every day to verify my connection and have not missed a notification yet.

Back