Coming off Quiet mode without the Chime

Add me to the count of wanting to eliminate the notification of chime being reactivated. I put it in the same league of a car alarm chirping when you unlock/disarm the car/alarm. I understand the chirp when arming so you know it received the signal from the remote. But why notify/annoy you when disarming. The rare time the signal wasn't received, you'd know as soon as you pulled on the door handle and it was still locked.

Kevin

Add me to the count of wanting to eliminate the notification of chime being reactivated. I put it in the same league of a car alarm chirping when you unlock/disarm the car/alarm. I understand the chirp when arming so you know it received the signal from the remote. But why notify/annoy you when disarming. The rare time the signal wasn't received, you'd know as soon as you pulled on the door handle and it was still locked.

Kevin

Actually on many cars when you lift the handle it turns on the interior light which would trigger the alarm so it all depends.

I think it would be nice if it would be a programmable option (if possible).

If I make the M1 silently enable chime with a Rule does that satisfy everyone?

What about the guy that wants the keypad to chime when a Rule enables the chime?

B)

What about the guy that wants the keypad to chime when a Rule enables the chime?

B)

If you can satisfy everyone you need a bigger promotion then President. More like "God" B)

Who would want that and why?

I vote for quiet chime engagement, even though I use voice chimes and the "silence non-essential voices" rule as my way to stop "chiming" and it doesn't babble needlessly when the rule re-engages the voice.

yeah, that'd be awesome, thanks!

Couldn't that guy just setup a 2nd rule to sound the chime?

I'm in for the silent enable chime.

Like others have said, if they still want it, they can just ring the chime right after.

Kevin

Actually on many cars when you lift the handle it turns on the interior light which would trigger the alarm so it all depends.

Hmm, didn't know that. All the cars I've had with factory alarms chirp (and flash lights) when I lock the doors with the remote, but don't chirp when unlocking. Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin

Hmm, didn't know that. All the cars I've had with factory alarms chirp (and flash lights) when I lock the doors with the remote, but don't chirp when unlocking. Thanks.

Kevin

Our Honda minivan when you lift the door handle the interior lights go on. If you did not disarm the alarm it goes off. But not on my Honda Civic Hybrid.

This discussion reminds me of this very long post dealing with a feature request... two of which are copied below, Mine and Spanky's.

Everyone has made some good points but I would zoom out to the macro view and take a different look. My disappointment relates to mis-set expectations. I've seen many, many responses from Elk whether they be by phone, email, private message or posts that have indicated that a requested feature / function has been "added to the list" or "its already on the list". We need to know the timeframe of "the list".

My expectation, especially for minor items is that these requests should be in the next major release. Is this latest release a "major" release from Elk's perspective? If so we have a problem. If its a minor release please say so then we can move on to a discussion about priorities. There is no doubt that some of the things they are adding are very complex on such a low level platform but its not fair to the users to spend all your time and energy on the complex additions and overlook a boatload of small one's.

Ok now back to the micro level... Example: How difficult is it to add the ability to control the backlighting of keypads via a rule. If your not a programmer or firmware expert please don't make up a long line of excuses as to why this is hard, needs more memory or could break ten other things. ITS SIMPLE, the basic control structure is already in place and the functionality exists in the keypad. It can already be set it just can't be changed programatically. Even the lowest level is too bright at night in a bedroom and if you turn it off after inactivity (to make it go dark) then you can't see it at all during the day.

Spanky's reply:
Being on the suggested feature addition list generally means that when enough people ask for the feature, it could be added. When one person asks for a feature and it is added to a consideration list, does not mean it will be in the next software release.

To understand the complexitity of adding a perceived simple feature like keypad backlight control from Rules involves these considerations:
1. ELKRP software changes, ELKRP protocol to M1 changes and documentation.
2. M1 software changes.
3. RS-485 data bus protocol changes and documentation.
4. Keypad software changes.
5. UL retesting evaluation. If UL retesting is involved, the answer is probably NO. Ask Digger!
6. Documentation and manual changes. Obsoleting printed manuals.
7. Training procedure changes.
8. Technical support training.
9. Evaluation of code space required. Some features just can't be added.
10. Perceived value of the feature against cost to add the feature.
11. Beta testing and field support.

Adding keypad backlighting control from Rules is a complex feature change. I would guesstimate this feature will cost $50K to add. You be the judge!

Some people have commented "Why updates are not more often". Other people complain that they are too often now. If a major issue is found, the update will come out very quickly. "It would be nice to have" updates are spaced out.

--------------------

Herd Leader
Elk Products, Inc.

Well working for another alarm mfg I can tell you I have to agree with Spanky. Heck to correct an upside down picture in an installation instruction UL wants $800. If they have to test something its at least $4K lately.

Its cheaper to batch changes for both internal and external costs.

I think we need a better way.... do you think it would be possible to have a certified firmware version and on non-certified version? Seems like we need a home automation version that has more flexibility and a more dynamic feature set...

I think we need a better way.... do you think it would be possible to have a certified firmware version and on non-certified version? Seems like we need a home automation version that has more flexibility and a more dynamic feature set...

To me, that would make sense. After all, as homeowners we don't need UL certification on alarms.

To me, that would make sense. After all, as homeowners we don't need UL certification on alarms.

That is not necessarily true (many jurisdictions require a UL Listing on the equipment). But I have actually been discussing with UL about allowing Home Automation changes etc in firmware and documentation and not having to resubmit to UL. Brought it up with them again today as a matter of fact. There are ways it can be addressed.

Maybe Spanky and I should double team UL. LOL

Back