Premise Control anything in Premise using Windows 10 Cortana (via my Cortana Control Home app)

Motorola Premise

etc6849

Requires you to be very knowledgeable with PC's and electronics, but my YouTube channel goes through how to set everything up click by click if you watch the numbered tutorials in order!
Quick Demo
[video=youtube;wn3mZA-WVBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3mZA-WVBI[/video]

What's Required?
1. Setup Motorola Premise Home Control (free home automation software) on a windows PC.  This is not bloatware, Motorola used to sell the software for around $1000, but made it free when they discontinued support.  There's an online support forum and a wiki though!  Plus there's an SDK, so new technologies are added by tech savvy users.
2. Link whatever you want to control to your Premise server this can be lighting, HVAC, Security, A/V, anything that can be hooked somehow to your PC or network  (KODI/XBMC, z-wave, insteon, radiora, upb, global cache...  hundreds of supported devices and technologies).
3. Install and setup my SpeechParser module (by watching tutorial #7.x on my YouTube channel).
4. Install my Premise Control Home with Cortana app to control your home hands free by saying "Hey Cortana...Control Home...[insert command here].  

Key Features
Note the command phrase is not order dependent and works with synonyms too; you can even ask questions about your home (such as what is the brightness in the living room, when was the front door last opened, etc...).
You DO NOT need to program a sentence for each device/property for this to work with your voice.  Just give Premise the room names (regular expressions are supported, but optional), and my free Premise SpeechParser module does all the work of figuring out what you want based on what devices you have automated in a particular room!
App uses a background Cortana voice service that is enabled once you open and setup the main app, so it works when things like KODI are in the foreground!
App is compiled as a "Universal Windows Platform" (UWP) app, so it will work with Windows 10, Windows Phone 10, and maybe the Xbox One in 2016!

Link to App in Windows Store
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh67ncl

Wait, How Does This Work?
[video=youtube;g-hx9WxkIz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hx9WxkIz8[/video]
Numbered Tutorials for Setting Up the FREE Home Automation Software
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6fLTEmRoGam7B5VoKazC9A/

I watched the series of video tutorials (a few times)  and they all looked great so I decided to create a test box (WIndows 10) and install everything as described including all the Kodi stuff because that's what I use. My main motivation is voice control so I progressed to the Android device stuff (Autovoice/Tasker) and also the Control Home app for Cortana but now  I'm stuck. Typed commands directly into SpeechParser within Premise works, Typed HTTP posts from the PC browser work....but Autovoice and Cortana don't. I've checked everything I can so could really do with some help please.....

Sounds like a networking or firewall issue (on your Premise server) since Autovoice and Cortana both are not working.

naellis said:
I watched the series of video tutorials (a few times)  and they all looked great so I decided to create a test box (WIndows 10) and install everything as described including all the Kodi stuff because that's what I use. My main motivation is voice control so I progressed to the Android device stuff (Autovoice/Tasker) and also the Control Home app for Cortana but now  I'm stuck. Typed commands directly into SpeechParser within Premise works, Typed HTTP posts from the PC browser work....but Autovoice and Cortana don't. I've checked everything I can so could really do with some help please.....

Resurrecting an old thread.

Just playing with this and can't seem to get Cortana to talk to Premise.  She just keeps telling me she doesn't understand.

I do have everything working great with tasker and autovoice using phones.

Any thoughts?  And anyone get Google Home working?

I quit using Windows 10 retail versions, and moved on to Windows 10 LTSB on all my Windows 10 machines.  This means I don't have ads, Edge, Cortana or any app for that matter though. 

My guess is something changed in Windows assuming you checked everything else.  This happened 1.5 years ago and I recompiled a new version back then and had to have it re-certified.

I can refund your money.  The easy alternative is to find any app that uses the Alexa Voice Service, and get things working with an Echo Dot.  It is free to get a developer account and use AWS (for the amount you or I use it).

Just google for examples of making your own Alexa skill, and use the javascript in the zip file in an AWS Lambda function.  Name your skill whatever you'd like.  Mine has stayed in perpetual beta for about three years now, but the code in the cloud is specific to my house.

samgreco said:
Resurrecting an old thread.

Just playing with this and can't seem to get Cortana to talk to Premise.  She just keeps telling me she doesn't understand.

I do have everything working great with tasker and autovoice using phones.

Any thoughts?  And anyone get Google Home working?

Thanks.  Thought it was worth asking.  Just experimenting right now.

I bought into the Google eco system.  So probably won't do Alexa.  I'll have to see how difficult it is to do that. 

I got it working with Autovoice using Tasker, etc.  But Autovoice seems to be having issues with GH.  Everytime you say "Hey Google, ask Autovoice to..." it chimes back saying, "would you like to use Autovoice for that?".  Then if you say yes, it works.  But it was already awkward just saying "Ask Autovoice".

Otherwise, I can use my phone without issue or additional phrases.

You can use the Alexa voice service on any platform (Windows, Android, etc...).  You just need one of the apps like Home Remote for Android that links to your amazon/echo account, and to setup a free developer account with a custom skill.

However, I wish google would let us do something similar, but they want full control over everything.  They do let developers have voice actions that are picked up, but won't let apps do generic phrases, presumably due to fear of some third party voice search piggy backing on their service.  For example, this is why you can't tell your phone "ok google, have alexa [insert something generic]."

My guess is you would have to hack the Google Home to do what you want, if this is even possible, while the Echo can do it in under an hour or so.  Home Remote will be the end all GUI for Premise once 123 finishes, plus it has a mic button at the top for sending Alexa voice commands all in one app.  You still have to tap the mic button though!  I do have a Google Home, so I may try to hack it sometime in the next few months, assuming it is possible.

Here's what I found for hands-free Alexa use from Windows 10, should work fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202186050

samgreco said:
Thanks.  Thought it was worth asking.  Just experimenting right now.

I bought into the Google eco system.  So probably won't do Alexa.  I'll have to see how difficult it is to do that. 

I got it working with Autovoice using Tasker, etc.  But Autovoice seems to be having issues with GH.  Everytime you say "Hey Google, ask Autovoice to..." it chimes back saying, "would you like to use Autovoice for that?".  Then if you say yes, it works.  But it was already awkward just saying "Ask Autovoice".

Otherwise, I can use my phone without issue or additional phrases.

Hmmm.  Maybe I should reconsider the Alexa/Home decision.  I only have one Home currently and one Chromecast.  It would be easy to switch now, before I go much deeper.

I got google home working.  I also had headaches with tasker/autovoice so I avoided it all together by using IFTTT.com.  Now I just say "Ask the House to ...." and it will forward the web request on to ECT6849's Tasker Module.  Works from any google assistant (google home, Android phone, etc.) from any location.  I can be in Mexico and ask the house to turn my lights on. It's great.

I'm sure you have seen it already, but I described it in This Thread

Wow, I'd completely forgotten that part of that thread.  It sounds brilliantly simple.  I will give it a go when I get home tonight.

Nice. I know what I'm doing later today. Looks like I can finally use the Google assistant on my Pixel XL too :)

Back