Controlling closet door light with door motion

I likewise went with Lutron motion sensing.  We've got their RA2 lighting and the wireless sensor is pretty nice.  There is a tiny delay between the time it takes to detect your presence and turning the lights on.  It's just a few milliseconds shorter than the time it take to raise my hand toward the wall switch!  

That and it's timing is pretty smart.  It can be configured to avoid turning itself back on too quickly if the switch is operated manually.  As in, I can walk into the room and the sensor turns off the light after 15 minutes of no detected activity.  If I want the light to stay off I can just tap the switch and the sensor won't turn it back on again until the 15 minute window has passed again.  I find this works better than letting the light be triggered on/off too rapidly.  That or going out on me while I'm in the room but not active "enough" for it to detect me.

But then for some smaller closets I could definitely see where using some sort of contact switch would be helpful.  But I don't know that I'd want to get stuck with the light being on just because the door was left open.

Back