Controlling Window AC Unit With Omnistat Zigbee tstat

TMTUOHY

Hi,

Apologize if this is not in the right spot in the forum.  I just bought a HAI Omnistat RC2000WHZB Zigbee communitcating tstat with the HAI Zigbee Interface Module and the HAI 30A Zigbee Load Controller.  I'm hoping to be able to use this combination to turn on the LCM (which is connected to a window AC unit that is hardwired to turn on when the LCM is powered) at a specified high temp setpoint and turn it off when the temp on the RC2000WHZB reaches a specified low temp setpoint.

I looked at all of the documentation provided by HAI (which is sparse to say the least) for all of the components I bought and I don't see any info specific to enabling what I want to do.  Seems like you can directly control loads connected by Zigbee LCMs from either the tstat or LIM interface, but not hook them to temp setpoints (unless I'm missing something).  I was hoping it would be that simple but something tells me it will not.  I also have an OmniPro II panel in the house (previously used for security only).

Does anyone know if there's a way to do what I want to do using only the HAI Zigbee components (tstat, LIM, LCM)?  Or am I going to need to program the OmniPro II to allow this sort of control?

Thanks In advance for any advice!

- Tom

You can manually control a Zigbee load with with OmniStat2, but not based on temperature.  You need a panel for that. 

Thanks for the clarification on the function of the Omnistat and for the hard-wire option info.  The Omnistat will not be close to the Window AC load so hard-wiring will be very difficult which is why the zigbee-based control would be ideal for this. 

It seems like HAI dropped the ball by not providing what I think should be a main function of the zigbee-based version of the Omnistat, especially since they already provide load-control functions from the tstat but neglected to tie in temp setpoint-based functionality on those loads.  I've seen lots of posts from people with stand-alone AC/Heating units requesting this type of functionality and now that HAI provides the ability to do this completely wirelessly via the zigbee components I purchased, they fail to implement this type of key functionality into the system.  I could have saved myself lots of cash if I had not assumed that this type of functionality would be provided and verified it first.

Where does HAI/Leviton ever claim that the OmniStat2 is a universal controller?  It, like any thermostat was designed to control your furnace/AC.  What made you think it would control other devices?  On the box and on their web site they have a list of the types of HVAC systems that it can control and I don't see "Window Air Conditioner" listed. 

I think you're going to need to hook the Omnistat to the OmniPro and program some rules in there to follow when the thermostat thinks it's turning the A/C on and off and have it then mimic the behavior with the LCM.  You'll want to wait for someone who knows Zigbee with the OmniPro though for better details.

If the items were close by, I'd do the 24VAC relay idea as that's what first came to mind; or if going remote, I might've gone with a UPB or ZWave LCM and use the outputs from the tstat into an IO module which could then send the on/off commands.  Unfortunately I don't see an input or IO module that's compatible off-hand (maybe someone else knows of one).

I think there might be some confusion between the different Zigbee profiles, and granted, it can be very confusing. 

There are many Zigbee profiles that products are built to, and each of these profiles has a different purpose.  Here I think the Smart Energy profile is being confused with the Home Automation profile.  HAI actually makes Zigbee devices for both profiles, but they are very different.

The Smart Energy profile is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, and it was designed to be used by electric utilities.  These utilities want the ability to turn off high usage devices in your house when they need to, and in exchange for letting them, they will give you lower rates.  If they don't need to build more power plants to cover the peaks in usage, they and you save money. 

The utility gives you a Zigbee smartmeter, and Zigbee thermostat which they can adjust remotely.  You might also have a Zigbee controlled electric car charger, Zigbee controlled AC units (LG makes some) and other controls for big appliances which the utility can deactivate on demand.  You, Mr. User, don't have ultimate control here, the electric utility does. 

Zigbee Home Automation is another profile used for home automation.  This is the standard the HAI panel supports and OmniStat2's support and the Zigbee load controller support.  Also there are Zigbee Home Automation locks.  The panel controls these devices just like it does for UPB, or Z-wave, or many other technologies.  Zigbee Smart Energy and Zigbee Home Automation are completely different from each other and DON'T talk to each other.  HAI does make both types of products but they only sell the Smart Energy ones to utilities, and the Home Automation ones to us home automation folks. the Zigbee Home Automation profile is designed to be used with a home automation panel, just like a Z-wave thermostat is designed to talk to a panel using Z-wave.

There are MANY other Zigbee profiles as well, and again, for the most part, none of them talk to each other without a bridge.     Its very confusing, but also very flexible.

HAI has obviously gone to the trouble of providing direct control of the Zigbee Loads from the Omnistat, even though I really don't see the need or attraction since you can more easily navigate the UI in the ZIM and IMHO, the way they implemented load control in the Omnistat has nothing to do with the main function of the tstat which is to control temp.   However, if they tied in the load control behavior (on, off) with the temp setpoints in the tstat, it would have made much more sense from a tstat point of view and allow a user to orchestrate this functionality without buying an expensive OP system.  A supplemental AC or Heating load are 2 of the most common applications I can think of but I'm sure there are others as well.

The main point I wanted to emphasize here is that I think HAI was short-sighted or unaware in its design and marketing of the Zigbee ZIM, Omnistat, and LCM and could have easily provided this behavior but missed the boat, especially when they provided a stand-alone version of the Zigbee ZIM which is intened to operate independently of an OP panel in controlling loads, lighting, and temp control.   Luckily for me, I have an OP system and can emulate the functionality that I believe should be in the tstat itself.

Back