Converting Old Leviathan DVR System

jamesbrew

I have an old Leviathan DVR which was good it's day, but I want to upgrade it to IP based cameras I can look at via my HAI App on my iPhone. The existing cameras are good quality but use coaxial cable which is connected to the DVR.

Do I need to scrap everything, or can the cameras and coaxial cabling be salvaged and reused in a newer system?

Any advice is appreciated.

Depends on what sort of resolution or performance you want. If what you have is OK, then you install an IP encoder and call it a day. Basically these devices would connect/replace the analog DVR and then you would connect the encoder to your network from there.

The big thing is to stay towards a brand name manufacturer if you expect it to work with a 3rd party vendor: IE Axis.

And if you do decide you want IP Cams, there are converters that will give you POE and Ethernet over Coax.  Here are some cheapies on Amazon.

The only bad thing about going that way is really going to be cost. Assuming a modest house with 4-8 cameras (max 16) X$90/unit + cost of camera and POE infrastructure (needed no matter what the IP solution) will buy a lot of cable, professionally installed even, or a lot of patching painting.

For the most part, a residence is going to fall below the 90m total length/run and it's usually not going to make economic sense to install a POE/IP to coax unit in a house....not to mention a location to put those units in the field.

A commercial application where you can be at the 90m or greater on the coax and have FOC's, sure it makes sense....a lot of times a customer isn't going to recable some cameras.

Back