CQC 5.0 is released

Dean Roddey

CQC 5.0 has just been released. It is a ginormous release (we checked, BTW, and scientifically it does qualify as ginormous.) It is a 'start over' in a number of different ways, in our administrative interface, in our web site, and our help system and training videos, and a number of the most important tools.

http://www.charmedquark.com

We think that, with one well known exception, this brings us to the point where we have nothing to apologize for with CQC. It addresses pretty much all of the extant user concerns related to the stuff mentioned above, and will provide a solid foundation for years to come as we get back to building out in other areas.

The one missing piece remaining is an improved story on the non-Windows touch screen client support front, which will be taken care of next, and at least the first useful fruits of which will not be nearly so long in coming. Actually a good bit of work has been done already on the first step down that path.

These types of 'tear it down and rebuild it' things don't get to happen often. For one, they take a LOT of time. For another, they'd kill the people who have to do them. For us, this one was basically 15 years coming. But, once the pain is behind you and the comfortable numbness sets in, it's a great feeling to have it all done. Of course that just means that you're now at the foot of yet another mountain and will just have to start climbing all over again, but at least it's a different mountain for a change.

BTW, our traditional Halloween sale has started tonight as well. 

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12704

The web site is correct. I think maybe that page caching is making a few folks get a combination of new and old web site content. Try telling your browser to discard cached files and see if that helps.

I have never been to the site before but did a cold refresh anyway.

All purchase buttons take you to this page.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Pages/BuyIt.html

....where there is no link URL in the source code.
Code:
                    <div style="width : 100%; margin-top : 28px;">
                        <button id="acceptEULA" type="button">I Accept</button>
                    </div>

There is no link, it's an internal javascript handled button. If it doesn't do anything, it's probably because the javascript failed to set up properly, which was the case in an earlier version of the web site content, but it isn't now. So I'm guessing it's cached somewhere upstream from you or something.

Do this...

1. Press F12 to open the browser debugger
2. Go to the URL line and hit enter to make it reload
3. Do you see an error show up in red in the debugger?

Congrats Dean. And kudos to you for opening yourself up to extensive criticism/critique and working so hard to implement so many of the suggestions. I'm sure it was a ton of work and my proverbial hat is off to you for your commitment to improving your product.

Please pardon my bluntness, but your website obfuscates a lot of details..  I think the product is only supported on Windows, but nowhere on your website can I see this information.  I'm shopping for HA S/W and your website leaves me cold...  Details are either missing or well hidden.

ecborgoyn said:
Please pardon my bluntness, but your website obfuscates a lot of details..  I think the product is only supported on Windows, but nowhere on your website can I see this information.  I'm shopping for HA S/W and your website leaves me cold...  Details are either missing or well hidden.

See, this is the thing. No matter what we do, someone won't be happy. Our old site was a lot more verbose and lots of people complained about information overload. Instead of just trying it, they would get themselves brain locked. So we've stripped it down. I do agree that the fact that it's windows based should be more evident. I'll make that change. But we aren't going back to the overly verbose old scheme. We just want to get folks interested and get them started. 

LarrylLix said:
I have never been to the site before but did a cold refresh anyway.

All purchase buttons take you to this page.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Pages/BuyIt.html

....where there is no link URL in the source code.

<div style="width : 100%; margin-top : 28px;">
<button id="acceptEULA" type="button">I Accept</button>
</div>

Try it now. Another person had the same issue, and ran the debugger for me. His javascript implementation, for whatever reason, didn't implement the startsWith() string method. Seems kind of crazy in this day and age that such a basic thing wouldn't be there but it wasn't. That of course caused the javascript to fail, which caused various things not to work because they are set up dynamically via javascript.

Dean Roddey said:
OK, the first line now on the Get Started page indicates it's Windows based.
I agree its great to get comments, but in this verbose Internet world, if you listen to every comment from everyone, it will just drive you crazy. 

I really liked the new web site. It has pricing information on the home page which is about as transparent as it can be.  I like the simplicity actually and its certainly appropriate here.

Dean Roddey said:

Try it now. Another person had the same issue, and ran the debugger for me. His javascript implementation, for whatever reason, didn't implement the startsWith() string method. Seems kind of crazy in this day and age that such a basic thing wouldn't be there but it wasn't. That of course caused the javascript to fail, which caused various things not to work because they are set up dynamically via javascript.
Prices show up in android Chrome (no java) and IE 11 now.

No updates or changes required. Much better.

Without knowing what issues you are experiencing, it's difficult to know what to check for. We had a couple but those have been dealt with already. What are you seeing?

I think the new web site is better too. It's only two clicks to download an installation executable. Add a "Try It" button on upper right corner for the win.

Since Amazon Echo is the new big thing, Web site might want to leverage this buzzword since CQC supports Echo API.

The graphic at bottom that shows example GUI integration should replace the pho device icons at upper right corner. Get prospective customers to see their experience.

Back