Custom Control Panels on Android

naething

I'm looking for a solution that allows me to use my Android to control my home automation system. I want the ability to design a few panels for different tasks (watching a movie, listening to music). I also would like to be able to easily copy the panels to my computer so I can move them to another device (I have two Evo 3ds and a Droid 2 Global right now, but will probably add a few android tablets in the future. I don't really care what "glue" I have to have in the middle to actually control devices (Girder, EventGhost, something else), mostly just the panel design. I figure this is a pretty typical problem and so I wondered what everyone else used. I could just throw up a few web pages but I really want to be able to use some features of a native client (location based events, maybe voice control, etc).

So far I have found these two programs:

EventGhost for Android
Andre (Native Android Client for Girder)

Eventghost for Android is probably the most promising. It has a really easy drag and drop approach to making panels. It also can trigger commands based on location or other android events. The problem is it doesn't seem to be very actively developed right now, and panels are limited to grids. But it is probably the closest to what I am looking for.

I also tried to use Andre but the demo panels were somewhat ugly and the second time I ran it, just a few days after I installed it, my beta had timed out and it said go install a new beta. I thought that was a bit too controlling of the developer so I basically wrote it off.

What I would really like to see is an Open Source project so that I knew I wouldn't be forced to upgrade and that new devices would continue to be developed. Maybe even something using PhoneGap so it was cross platform (Android, iOS, etc). I wouldn't mind buying an App if it was polished enough (e.g., if Square Connect had an android version!). But I don't want to spend time messing with someone's personal project if it means when they get bored or too busy to continue I'm out of luck. I'm *very* close to just starting my own project based on PhoneGap... but I have enough other projects in the air right now.

Thanks!

Back