data hub compatible with omnipro II

Do you have any recommendations for neat daisy chaining at the controller location? All of the keypads and expansion enclosures are homeruns to the controller.

alarmguy said:
It is NOT compatible and I do not think Omni has a similar device.
Not really true.

The issue would be the OPII does not use a 485 topology, so either extra conductors or jumpers would be needed to make it work. If the OPII consoles have cat X cable, it's easy to do. If not, the effort to use just RJ jacks is really not worth IMHO, otherwise there's no reason why the voltage and data A/B connections couldn't be used as a passthru network, assuming the termination resistor was omitted from the install.

If 4C is used, RJ's could be used with a suitable connection block, however, I still think the effort expended to accomplish this really isn't worth it.

The question I'd pose is how many consoles do you have? If you have more than 4, then I really don't see the added need for expense, labor and effort to move the cabling to another method. It's really not going to gain you anything.

2 cables under each side of the clamping plate would be fine in my book and really not require any further items for cable management.

Being a pro, I think a lot of people create problems for items that don't really require solutions, and in turn, create further complexities and failure points.

Being a pro, I think a lot of people create problems for items that don't really require solutions, and in turn, create further complexities and failure points.

+++

:rockon:

DELInstallations said:
If that wasn't true, 95% of the posts here would be gone.

You might look at the Omni power hub.   It can supply power and acts as a data hub for up to 8 keypads.    If you dont need the additional power supply, then I would just go with a terminal strip as already suggested.

I have punchdown blocks rated 100mhz...can those be substituted for terminal strips? Is there a diagram or photograph of this type of terminal strip wiring?

Um, with 8 conductors, honestly, I would twist and use orange wire nuts and pigtail to a piece of 18/4, hell even breaking down into 2 pieces of 18/4 (KP's and expansion) and then split the conductors on each side of the terminal block to facilitate even clamping, that would be my suggestion before adding a lot more work and complexity.

Punchdown blocks aren't the be all-end all. A good way to add a failure point if stranded wire is used.

Back