Data logging for Elk M1G

frankdr

Is there any interest in being able to log data from the ELK temp sensors or other values to a file or database? I'm working on an application to do that and wondered if anyone else would have a use for it. Right now it's set up for ethernet connection via the xep and writes to text files. I will add ODBC/SQL support later also. I could also add serial port support.

The use that I have in mind is to pull the data into Excel to graph the inside and outside temps. Once I get that working, I'll use the DB to drive a web UI.

Later,
Frank

mustangcoupe said:
Id be interested also... does it also log the temperature from the kaypads?
You can log anything that can be put in a automation/text field. You can do counters for example - and temperatures.

I don't see a way to get the thermostat temp out of the system. I can see probes and keypad temps only.

-Frank

frankdr said:
I don't see a way to get the thermostat temp out of the system. I can see probes and keypad temps only.

Look around page 40 of the RS-232 protocol doc, around section 4.22. You issue the Request Thermostat Data command (tr) and you'll see the current temperature mid-string (TT in the spec).

I would be interested too, but I would want to integrate it with CQC instead of using a separate app. Maybe the graphs could be web based or something? I'll just watch how this turns out and go from there.

Steve said:
I would be interested too, but I would want to integrate it with CQC instead of using a separate app. Maybe the graphs could be web based or something? I'll just watch how this turns out and go from there.
I use CQC also. I think there are some database capabilities in the 2.0 version of CQC. I'll see what can be done then.

frankdr said:
Steve said:
I use CQC also. I think there are some database capabilities in the 2.0 version of CQC. I'll see what can be done then.
Yep, he's got some ODBC capabilities in 2.0. Thanks!

Ok, so I'll need to make some changes so that the hardcoded settings can be changed. I should have it done by the end of the week, depending to work. I'll also document the thing.

So, if you want to give it a try, send me an email at my screen name @i2.com. Let me know if you are using Serial or Ethernet (this first version will be ethernet only) and if you want the source code. it's done in C# in VS2005 , so you'll need .net 2.0.

It started out as a test for doing multi-threaded Windows apps. I happened to think about something I wanted to do with Elk when I was doing the app.

Later
-Frank

I should have something to send out in the next day or two. As usual, the stuff I like to do has to wait for the stuff I have to do.

-Frank

Frank,

I also am using CQC and the Elk M1. I would be interested in this capability when it is available. Sending you a PM.

Thanks for the effort and for sharing it with the community.

Me three. I'm in the midst of 101 other unfinished projects, so i'll let Larry/others beta test it before I jump in.

BTW, i'm also looking into the ODBC stuff for the recipe integration with CQC, so perhaps we can help each other there. What DB are you planning to use?

Back