Difference in fire zones definitions

jblackst2800

I have an Elk M1 Gold security panel and have two GE wireless smoke detectors installed. In the Elk M1 Gold installation manual it list 3 fire zone definitions.

10 Fire 24 hr Alarm - Intended for Fire alarm sensors such as smoke detectors, heat stats, pull stations, etc.
Activates an immediate Fire alarm upon a short across the zone wires. A Fire Trouble will be activated if an open
(break in the zone wires) should occur.
11 Fire 24 hr .Verified. - For smoke detectors in high-risk false alarm areas. Upon initial activation (short across the
zone), the control ignores the alarm and removes smoke power for 5 seconds to reset the detectors. During this 5
seconds, and for 20 additional seconds afterwards, no alarms will be recognized from this zone. Following this is
a 60 second verification time window, during which any additional activation will be regarded as verification of the
initial alarm and the control will initiate a Fire Alarm. If the 60 seconds expires with no further activations, the entire
process is cleared (reset). A Fire Trouble will be activated if an open (break in the zone wires) occurs.
12 Fire 24 hr Supervisory - Intended for monitoring water control valves on fire sprinkler systems. Same as Fire 24hr
except that a short across the zone activates a Fire Supervisory alarm. A Fire Trouble will be activated if an open

I believe I want to use zone definition "10" but not sure what the difference between "10 and "12-Fire 24 hr Supervisory"

I just want to be sure that my alarm is activated when either smoke detector becomes unsecure whether armed or unarmed.

Thanks for your help on this.

Use zone definition 10, which the manual states is for smoke detectors. Zone definition 12 is used to monitor and alert of issues that could prevent proper sprinkler operation.

I would use the zone mentioned as being for smoke detectors! You want an activation, not a supervisory alert

Back