Dimmable LED Bulbs

I've decided that LED tech just isn't there yet, at least for my needs. If you have a properly designed can light system, then they may work. "Properly designed" meaning that the height of the ceiling was taken into account, the spread of the cone of light, and ensuring that they overlap. None of mine overlap, which is bad design even with incandescent bulbs, let alone the lower output LED lights (my PAR30's put out 1100 lumens, the Cree replacements put out 600 lumens).

I will either wait until there are bulbs on the market that come close to what I have now, or I may install more cans so the rooms are properly lighted in the first place. Don't leave your lighting design up to your contractor, bad idea.

I would imagine that within the next year we'll probably start seeing LED lights that will rival their incandescent counterparts.

The Cree LR6 is not dimmable enough to be called 'dimmable'. Specs say it can be dimmed to 20%, but it looks more like 50% in real life.

I installed 2 in my MBa. Too bright to keep on at night, for a nightlight.

I installed the CREE LR6 as well. It is a great light from the standpoint of how it functions at full on. The color is perfect, the brightness exceeds the 65 watt standard LR6 I had next to it, and it only gets ever so slightly warm to the touch. Also, the light is distributed nicely without any hotspots and it is less harsh on the eye looking directly at it as compared to an incandescent. It does fall short on dimming. When it dims the color stays the same, unlike incandescent which gets redder as you dim them. Also, as mentioned by the previous post it doesn't get very much dimmer as you dim the power and then it shuts off. In other words, if you turn the dimmer up starting at 0%, it won't light at all until you get to 20%. At that point it pops on to what I would also guesstimate as 50% of max brightness. Then it gradually gets brighter as you increase power to 100%.

If you have locations where you don't really want dimming but would like an otherwise really nice very high efficiency very long lasting light, this is it.

I was thinking like the EAGLE ELECTRIC or the ones that are using the new National Semicuductor chip ,, which they claim well dim to 0,,, 

I googled it and found this. Perhaps in a year or so CREE will be selling truly dimmable fixtures. I think for now I am going to stick with my one fixture and wait. These things are too much of a long term investment to make a premature decision.

Arrow Electronics, Cree and National Semiconductor Team Up to Deliver 'Flicker-Free' LED Driver Board Reference Design
December 17, 2009...Arrow Electronics, Inc., Cree, and National Semiconductor teamed up to create a reference design for a flicker-free, wide-dimming-range LED driver board. According to Arrow Electronics, the new reference design enables engineers to rapidly develop an LED lighting solution, featuring white LEDs on a programmable board that meets the Energy Star power requirements.

The reference design specifies Cree’s XLamp LED package, with four bright LEDs in a single chipset. The chipset reduces cost savings by reducing the number of LEDs and optics required. The reference design also includes National’s LM3445 TRIAC dimmable LED driver, which National says delivers the industry’s first flicker-free, wide 100:1 dimming range. Arrow says that customers designing with the LED driver board are fully supported by its in-depth technical expertise and comprehensive services and solutions.

“Working with partners like National and Cree, Arrow continually identifies new, intelligent lighting solutions that provide greater flexibility, enhanced convenience and cost savings,“ said Dan Gatza, director of Arrow Electronics’ lighting segment. “This LED driver board reference design is a complete solution with innovative features, ideal for a range of commercial, residential and industrial lighting applications.†Arrow News Release

I ordered two of the Cree LR6s, one of the 2700 and one of the 3500.

I installed them in my kitchen, and my wife noticed to 3500 right off the bat, but she did not notice the 2700.

To be honest, the way the Cree bulbs mount suck. It might just be the can light enclosures that I have, but there is a slight gap around the trim ring. If I decide to keep these, I might add a glob of adhasive to the drywall side of the trim ring, and prop it up until the adhesive cures.

The LR6s don't dim very well. I am thinking that the LEDs are going to be too bright for my kitchen even when they are dimmed. I have 17-- 65 watt can lights now.

I will keep everyone updated.

Steve

Sad but true--- 17 is just for the kitchen.

The builder of our house was also an electrican, so our house is FULL of lights.

Steve

17 times 65 watts times 6 hours a day times 365 days in a year times 10 cents per kwh equalls $242 electricity per year to light your kitchen. Plus I bet your lights are on more than 6 hours.

I did not have any trouble at all with the CREE mounting tight to the ceiling. I have a brand new house so maybe if your cans are an older style or something. Did you do put the little flanges in the install position and then do the quarter turn once in place?

I love the lights except for poor dimming qualities. I think I am going to wait another year and see if they have resolved that problem. I am thrilled with the quality of the light output otherwise and would gladly replace every can in my house if it weren't for the dimming.

Man, you could save some money on appliances. If you crank all those lights up you should be able to cook food as good as the Advantium :eek:

17 times 65 watts times 6 hours a day times 365 days in a year times 10 cents per kwh equalls $242 electricity per year to light your kitchen. Plus I bet your lights are on more than 6 hours.

I did not have any trouble at all with the CREE mounting tight to the ceiling. I have a brand new house so maybe if your cans are an older style or something. Did you do put the little flanges in the install position and then do the quarter turn once in place?

I love the lights except for poor dimming qualities. I think I am going to wait another year and see if they have resolved that problem. I am thrilled with the quality of the light output otherwise and would gladly replace every can in my house if it weren't for the dimming.

I dont want be to the devil's advocate, but I am just curious about the validity of the pricing (even ballpark) of the above. I will start by saying that I know NOTHING about the CREE lights. I have never been to the CREE site, nor really investigated anything into LED lighting. That said, are the "65Watt" CREE lights similar to that of CFL manufacturers, where they list the bulb is as bright in comparison to a 65W bulb, but actually consumes something like 14W?

For example: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5...catalogId=10053

If so, that breaks down to roughly $52 a year for the kitchen - quite a substantial difference....

I ordered two of the Cree LR6s, one of the 2700 and one of the 3500.

I installed them in my kitchen, and my wife noticed to 3500 right off the bat, but she did not notice the 2700.

To be honest, the way the Cree bulbs mount suck. It might just be the can light enclosures that I have, but there is a slight gap around the trim ring. If I decide to keep these, I might add a glob of adhasive to the drywall side of the trim ring, and prop it up until the adhesive cures.

The LR6s don't dim very well. I am thinking that the LEDs are going to be too bright for my kitchen even when they are dimmed. I have 17-- 65 watt can lights now.

I will keep everyone updated.

Steve

So which ones do you like better? The 2700 or the 3500? I think 3100 is about perfect, so I'm undecided which way I want to go. Maybe I'll just do like you did and buy both.

I'm not very hopeful with these though. My last house, these would have been perfect, as I had 15 cans in my kitchen to make sure I got perfect overlap with 30 degree spots. The guy who built my new house (which I wasn't involved in) had no clue about lighting and put a grand total of 4 cans in the kitchen. So I'm using 1100 lumen bulbs in them now, and it's still really not enough light.

Back