Dimmer Switches - What do I need?

So...with the Omni pro box....do I need to buy additional "interfaces" to work with z-wave and/or others like zigbee?     

Yes for Zigbee - Leviton HAI ZIM - serially connected Zigbee controller

Due to WAF here stayed with a serially connected Leviton HAI Omnistat2 which doesn't ever miss a bit which is the way I like it.

The serial connection doesn't use a serial port from the top half of the board.

Over the years I have added pieces to the furnace just for the Omnistat first generation.

IE: separate power supply / relay board for the thermostat here.

ano said:
My Zigbee thermostats have always worked perfectly. Yes a bit more expensive, but they are pretty nice also and have lots of features.  Zigbee could be used for lighting also, and I have a fair number of Zigbee bulbs and Zigbee outlets, but for whatever reason, Zigbee light switches are still limited an availability. UPB fills the gap nicely here, Leviton's HLC really works well if you learn about it and embrace it.  I wouldn't use Zwave either.  Zigbee and Zwave seem like they are similar, but when you look under the covers, its night-and-day.  Maybe if you keep the numbers down it works, but if you go with many devices, I'd pick Zigbee.

Numbers down to what? What do you consider to be many devices?

Personally here I utilize 4 automation controllers with my OP2. 

Each does supplement or work with the the other and will the addition of software (IE: CQC or Homeseer).

drvnbysound said:
Numbers down to what? What do you consider to be many devices?
I have nearly a hundred zwave devices from many different manufacturers although my lighting is 90% Leviton.  Works fine using HS.  I know of many others with larger networks that are also working fine.

I am curious why so many people are so negative about Z-Wave. I have ~20 Leviton Devices and 2 Kwikset Locks. I use Elk M1Gold and M1XSLZW/VRC0P+3. I have don’t have any issues either. I just turned off about 10 different lights tonight in house/garage in one second.
I did briefly try to install a Z-Wave thermostat, but then installed an HAI OmniStat2. It’s an awesome thermostat.

It would be nice if Elk released a Zigbee radio product, so customers can have a choice for locks. It looks like all the major lock manufactures support Zigbee (http://www.kwikset.com/products/details/electronic-locks/910trl-zbc4-15-smt.aspx?productseo=910trl-zbc4-15-smt).

I have a kwikset lock here, it seems to loose it's ZWave pairing whenever the battery runs down.  Have you seen anything similar?

cobra said:
I have a kwikset lock here, it seems to loose it's ZWave pairing whenever the battery runs down.  Have you seen anything similar?

I have installed multiple Kwikset deadbolts across multiple installs and haven't seen this at all.

How many Zwave devices do you have? How often are you changing batteries?

I only notice when the device is dead.  It seems to run down a set of AA in 4 or so months, with little use of the lock.  There are a half dozen ZWave devices in the house.

This one isn't a deadbolt though, it's one of their locking handle models (interior door type.)  Maybe that's the difference.

Alkaline batteries are recommended. Over time I can actually hear the locking mechanism of mine slow down as the batteries wear down. As such, I'm always able to change mine out before they die anyway.

Insteon dimmers can talk to each other without a central HA controller. I beleiev some brands of ZWave can do this as well. Careful with the brands of ZWave you select as some will not volunteer their status to a HA controller and have to be polled. Repeaters may be necessary every few items.

Insteon is superior in many respects but for locks and stats ZWave is more accomodating with devices.

ISY994i with Zwave option will control them all and many, with experience, claim much better and faster than other HA boxes.

I have no ZWave devices as yet. Only Insteon and bridged to Hue (directly), MiLights, and Venstar stats via ISY994 through a RPi.

Personally I am a bit on the fence with all of the new technologies and do not put all of my eggs in one automation transport mechanism. 

It's not soup yet.  The fat lady hasn't sung.

I think the wireless and wireless hybrid stuff is great. 

Personal preference and having electrical conduit / metal boxes here keeps me in the UPB light switch mode.

For Christmas have fallen back to using X10.  One house code.  I test it outside with an old palm pad; hit the on button and all of the Christmas lighting goes on. 

The HVAC controller (very much a WAF thing) sure bet of control here is still a serial wire from the thermostat to the controller.  Even with this configuration software application glitches have cranked the heat to 90 at times way back.  What is good is that the thermostat functions or can function without an external controller just fine and I never really do touch the settings much.

Same here. For Christmas I use weather proof X10 modules. ISY994i natively addresses them too. If they didn't work? No big deal.

Wetherproof = a plug-in module on the end of an extension cord and a string of lights plugged into the outlet disguised with a ball of electrical phase marking, coloured, tape. White tape leaves the least gum on the wires and module. Unwrap after Christmas and put back in the box marked "X10 junk". LOL

Back