Distributed Audio - Amplifier selection

Monk

I am thinking about a CAM 6.6
Is there a better choice than the Russound? I realize it is meant to be a "pro" thing, but there seems to be good DIY support thru the boards.
I am wanting inputs and speaker outputs to be selectable via touch screen (HSPro). I really don't want to use the keypads that might come with the amp - If I can spend less to get the amp without keypads, I would.
Am wanting to be able to broadcast ELK messages to all / selected zones. Also want all music to be controlled at touchscreen thru HS plugin (or thirdparty?). Need satellite radio control + metadata at the TS too.

Personally have based my thru the house sound zones on HA/TTS initially using "decent" paired stereo speakers thruout the home. The first (5 years) ago low cost setup was based on my HS server and an AB8SS 8 pair speaker / 2 source RS-232 / IR / X10 switcher. The zones evolved to multiple subzones (each bedroom now has a subzone, master BR has two subzones and 4 more zones have been added to original 8 zones - now 12 primary zones). 5 years ago when I first started added a "bunch" of Leviton digital volume controls (hence CAT5 to wall plates). Each bedroom has multiple network CAT5, video, sound, TV, audio - pretty self contained but externally media capable. This all still keeping the price down.

Now changing setup a bit by adding a Russound CAS-44 with keypads swapping out main floor 4 zones sound to utilizing this box. As I am just starting and doing simple; purchased simple with no bells and whistles. It will be integrated to my HA system TTS media both in family room (new MM receiver) and localized adjacent to amp media and currently not using HAI TTS. I purchased two CAS-44's with 8 keypads for less than $800 but only using the one for now (with 4 KPL keypads) - keeping it very simple and starting very slow for now.

Now changing setup a bit by adding a Russound CAS-44 with keypads swapping out main floor 4 zones sound to utilizing this box. As I am just starting and doing simple; purchased simple with no bells and whistles. It will be integrated to my HA system TTS media both in family room (new MM receiver) and localized adjacent to amp media and currently not using HAI TTS. I purchased two CAS-44's with 8 keypads for less than $800 but only using the one for now (with 4 KPL keypads) - keeping it very simple and starting very slow for now.

Is that a good deal for the CAS44's? I suppose it would not kill me to have a few keypads. Can you buy the system without? Also - can you control it thru a HS touchscreen - I see it has a serial port. Also, I noticed for each speaker output, it had four connectors - whats that for?
Thanks!

I have seen new CAS44's with 4 keypads for about $500 - 600. List price is higher. I wasn't in any hurry so took my time.

After watching what was out there; a good condition CAS44 has a street price of $150-220 or so. The price though is driven by the need though. The economy is down and I don't believe a lot of folks are buying zoned audio systems lately.

Actually purchased two used CAS44's like "new" for around $200 each including shipping. One much less and one a bit more. Then two sets of keypads. One new set (KP4) - for a friend and one mixed (KPL) for me. The mixed (KPL) for me was 3 new and 1 used for less than $130 or so.

At this time have only just tested the HSPro serial connectivity to the CAS44 and other than the icons (no big deal) it works just fine. I can also in the future connect my HAI Omni Pro setup to same with limited features. Currently planned setup would give me the option to localize 4 zones (with keypads) and also use HSTouch or HSPro to control these four zones / 4 sources and output. My current (on the "rack" adjacent to servers) direct audio connects to HS are an Audiosource AMP 100 and a RS mini audio amp driving 10 pairs of speakers. I also have a TOA commercial amp that I was playing with but didn't like too much.

Also looking at maybe using the "12VDC mute trigger in feature for just HS TTS" giving me a sort of over ride for TTS audio.

The CAS44 has four stereo pairs output (the four connector are each 2 speakers) and four inputs. Its very basic no frill setup with only 20 watts per channel and an RS-232 connection. Nothing fancy. Limited expansion. If you take your time you can get something with more zones more bells and whistles at a reasonable cost (less than $1000). As I am just starting. The infrastructure in my home is mostly all there. I wanted to start simple.

I have seen new CAS44's with 4 keypads for about $500 - 600. List price is higher. I wasn't in any hurry so took my time.

After watching what was out there; a good condition CAS44 has a street price of $150-220 or so. The price though is driven by the need though. The economy is down and I don't believe a lot of folks are buying zoned audio systems lately.

Actually purchased two used CAS44's like "new" for around $200 each including shipping. One much less and one a bit more. Then two sets of keypads. One new set (KP4) - for a friend and one mixed (KPL) for me. The mixed (KPL) for me was 3 new and 1 used for less than $130 or so.

At this time have only just tested the HSPro serial connectivity to the CAS44 and other than the icons (no big deal) it works just fine. I can also in the future connect my HAI Omni Pro setup to same with limited features. Currently planned setup would give me the option to localize 4 zones (with keypads) and also use HSTouch or HSPro to control these four zones / 4 sources and output. My current (on the "rack" adjacent to servers) direct audio connects to HS are an Audiosource AMP 100 and a RS mini audio amp driving 10 pairs of speakers. I also have a TOA commercial amp that I was playing with but didn't like too much.

Also looking at maybe using the "music on hold" feature for just HS TTS giving me a 5th audio input to the CAS44.

The CAS44 has four stereo pairs output (the four connector are each 2 speakers) and four inputs. Its very basic no frill setup with only 20 watts per channel and an RS-232 connection. Nothing fancy. Limited expansion. If you take your time you can get something with more zones more bells and whistles at a reasonable cost (less than $1000). As I am just starting. The infrastructure in my home is mostly all there. I wanted to start simple.

From what I have read - It sounds like 20 watts per channel (speaker) will be sufficient for me. I guess I'll start looking for used amps - The CAS44 seems to be like just a 4 zone version of the CAM6.6 without a tuner option - both are 20 watts.

Please note that the CAM6.6 utilized RNET where as the CAS44 doesn't. But the average street used price for a CAM6.6 is higher than the CAS44.

I was seriously looking at the Russound C-series. Then I found out that it dosn't support DLNA. Huge turn off for me. I love the idea of keypads to browse the music library in each room, but if they can only show data from tuners and ipods, what's the use? I'm still searching myself for the right solution.

I had originally considered no keypads and to use just touchscreens for control - but I am warming up to the keypad idea for basic functions. (Volume power etc.)

I guess looking at using both TS's for "ultimate" most featured control for those wanting to use it (only me) and basic no frills keypads for those that won't (wife - guests).

The TS's will provide all the bells and whistles with little or no hassle or restrictions and the Russound KPL's would be the "lite" and "manual" style control.

Relating to DLNA been playing with a number of devices all unique and independant of each other; not sure on the best path and definitely not going onboard with any one particular MFG at this time.

I have noticed that standards are evolving nicely.

Just really being aware of the methodologies.

I have them plugged in around the house network and use and play with them.

Locked one up this morning streaming internet audio and watching a slide show on the home office LCD (two different sources, plus telneting into box (changing this and that - only so much u can do with embedded linux) while running a very primitive web remote control - shouldn't cause difficulties).

I guess looking at using both TS's for "ultimate" most featured control for those wanting to use it (only me) and basic no frills keypads for those that won't (wife - guests).

The TS's will provide all the bells and whistles with little or no hassle or restrictions and the Russound KPL's would be the "lite" and "manual" style control.
That is what my plan is heading towards. Maybe using just 3 or 4 keypads for basic and advanced functionality via touchscreen or PC.

I used to think keypads...but it didn't make any sense to me in the end. What I did was try to think about what I was doing in the house while playing music, and where those keypads would be mounted and how useful they would be. How often I would be changing songs...turning up and down volume and searching through my large stash of music.

I came to the conclusion that no keypad would be useful anywhere. Sure...there was a 'cool' factor having keypads mounted in every room....but functionality...notta.

So...went without keypads....Use the itouch and app instead....found it much more useful(for us). And even better with a (future)Ipad laying around.

I did buy a HTD 12 channel digital amp...found if quite good.

For what its worth.
k

Was just looking at some HTD amps - It was not obvious that they accept control from other than their own keypads - how do you control without one? Also - which model?

Thanks

I have a CAM6.6 (with no internal tuner) that I am using with CasaTunes. You get all the info on your keypads as well as via touchscreen web app (or iPad/iPhone/iPod touch if you use those). I sync CasaTunes with all my iTunes libraries as my music source.

My ultimate goal is to have 2 CasaTunes sources, 1 iTunes source, 2 Tuner sources (From a Russound tuner that I still need to buy from somewhere cheap) and a, iPod dock for the final source.

All sources (except for the iTunes one) will be controllable from the keypads.

CasaTunes is a pretty slick solution for Russound and remote control plus media playback.

OK - A quick question for a Russound person -
If I am able to find a used 6.6T or 6.6X with no keypads and only limited time to make sure it "Works" is there a sure fire method of testing? I imagine the zones will each be in whatever state they were left, correct? So simply applying power and hooking speakers to each zone (and an input), one by one, may not necessarily be a good test.

Any ideas?

I have a CAM6.6 (with no internal tuner) that I am using with CasaTunes. You get all the info on your keypads as well as via touchscreen web app (or iPad/iPhone/iPod touch if you use those). I sync CasaTunes with all my iTunes libraries as my music source.

My ultimate goal is to have 2 CasaTunes sources, 1 iTunes source, 2 Tuner sources (From a Russound tuner that I still need to buy from somewhere cheap) and a, iPod dock for the final source.

All sources (except for the iTunes one) will be controllable from the keypads.

CasaTunes is a pretty slick solution for Russound and remote control plus media playback.

It looks like they support Russound in a big way - their website shows only a handfull of NUVO options. I am guessing NUVO isn't as good / popular. Also, looking on Ebay there is hardly any NUVO, while there is a decent abount of Russound.

Back