Do I have to replace Switchlinc with Insteon?

Okay the X10 is not being repeated so it's strength is lost by the time it reaches later devices. Sounds like X10 is a problem no matter what. that would explain why the XTB/XTB-II X10 Transmit Booster helps some folks.

Hi Neil. Not sure if you meant the 'no matter what' in reference to my situation, or not. My X-10 was working fine until I began installing Insteon switches, which I see as evidence which supports the claim that Insteon switches (because they are all two-way; the same applies to two-way X-10 switches) do degrade an X-10 network. The theory is that the transmitter's tuned circuit acts as a sink for the signal. In my case, the switches which began failing to respond to X-10 signals (both x10.com switches and Insteon switches) are not necessarily those furthest from the panel, but rather seem to be those in closest proximity to the installed Insteon switches.

Yes, I suspect that an XTB(II) would help enormously, though it doesn't make sense for me as I'm replacing the X-10 switches with the Insteon ones. Also, the XTB would not help with getting X-10 signals back to the controller as those X-10 signals begin to fail, and therefore I plan to go X-10 wireless (V572) for signaling to the controller, and Insteon from the controller to the switches.

I have a bunch of cheap X-10 installed and I just put back in a few Insteon keypadlincs etc to play with the ISY-26 I bought two weeks ago). So far I have 4 keypadlincs, some lamplincs, appliancelincs, accesspoints, rflincs etc and the X-10 still works fine. The Insteon communications is not the greatest but thats because I dont have enough in (and I may pull them out again unless I dare try switchlincs again LOL).

For the record the ISY-26 works GREAT! The PLM locks up every couple of days but is a known issue that is supposedly fixed with the firmware SH released this week (another $60 bucks for me to find out). Also the PLM seems to have a weak signal and I might order another set of Accesspoints to use to improve the PLM communicaitons if I decide to stick with Insteon again. I dont have a problem with the X-10 signal that I have noticed but it may be the same issue (not sure yet).

BTW the ISY works really well with the ELK and keeps the status of the lights in sync.

I think a lot depends on how clean your base wiring is. If you have a clean setup, you may be able to tolerate a lot of insteon. but if you have some background noise, for whatever reason, some insteon can push your X-10 into the unreliable zone
/j

I think a lot depends on how clean your base wiring is. If you have a clean setup, you may be able to tolerate a lot of insteon. but if you have some background noise, for whatever reason, some insteon can push your X-10 into the unreliable zone
/j

You never know... one more Insteon device and "boom" the X-10 may go as Sloop says "craplinc-10" LOL

So far I have 4 keypadlincs, some lamplincs, appliancelincs, accesspoints, rflincs etc and the X-10 still works fine. The Insteon communications is not the greatest but thats because I dont have enough in (and I may pull them out again unless I dare try switchlincs again LOL).

That's funny, because my Insteon has worked fine from the beginning, even though the X-10 has started to fade. I started by plugging in a single Insteon dimmer module at the point farthest from the panel, with the controller some distance from the panel on the opposite phase, and that lamp module worked just fine without any SignaLincs or any other Insteon devices to repeat the signal. [Yeah, I have a pretty small house. :lol: ] Even with both a PLC and a PLM plugged into the same outlet. I do have a passive X-10 couple (dryer plug-in type), but don't know whether that helps the Insteon signal in any way or not.

After five Insteon devices, the X-10 was still working fine. Then I installed three more Icon in-wall dimmer switches, and the X-10 stopped working to certain areas. I pulled the air-gap on the three new switches, and X-10 was back to normal. Pushing any one of the three air-gaps back in again caused the X-10 to fail, so yes it was a single Insteon switch which pushed the X-10 over the edge.

So far I have 4 keypadlincs, some lamplincs, appliancelincs, accesspoints, rflincs etc and the X-10 still works fine. The Insteon communications is not the greatest but thats because I dont have enough in (and I may pull them out again unless I dare try switchlincs again LOL).

That's funny, because my Insteon has worked fine from the beginning, even though the X-10 has started to fade. I started by plugging in a single Insteon dimmer module at the point farthest from the panel, with the controller some distance from the panel on the opposite phase, and that lamp module worked just fine without any SignaLincs or any other Insteon devices to repeat the signal. [Yeah, I have a pretty small house. :lol: ] Even with both a PLC and a PLM plugged into the same outlet. I do have a passive X-10 couple (dryer plug-in type), but don't know whether that helps the Insteon signal in any way or not.

After five Insteon devices, the X-10 was still working fine. Then I installed three more Icon in-wall dimmer switches, and the X-10 stopped working to certain areas. I pulled the air-gap on the three new switches, and X-10 was back to normal. Pushing any one of the three air-gaps back in again caused the X-10 to fail, so yes it was a single Insteon switch which pushed the X-10 over the edge.

You should not be having any problems at all. Just read SH website:

X10 Compatible
The INSTEON SwitchLinc Dimmer is fully INSTEON compatible and X10 ready. Homeowners with existing X10 networks can easily migrate to an INSTEON network without having to discard all their existing X10 devices. X10 ready means that it can respond to X10 commands from an X10 controller and it can send X10 commands to X10 devices. Please note that INSTEON devices repeat INSTEON signals but not X10.

Oh wait it says X-10 ready and does not necessarily say they will coexist.

Gotta read the fine print carefully LOL.

Trust me I feel your pain. I have had my headaches with Insteon.

Back