Do i really need Girder in conjunction with Elk and NetRemote?

shenandoah75

I've downloaded both and been playing a little and reading through forums, but it seems to me that with a global cache attached to an Elk serial port and using the generic interface within Netremote, i can build pretty complex UIs using just net remote alone to send the ascii and that it could still be bidirectional...

I do not intend on doing PC control, but using elk's hardware primarily (in conjunction with pocket pc's and maybe a touchscreen/tablet for media control). But i'd also like the ability to do some small things via the elk as well (i.e. control tasks / arm / lighting via elk serial instead of Girder).

am i missing something?

thx in advance
-brad

I've downloaded both and been playing a little and reading through forums, but it seems to me that with a global cache attached to an Elk serial port and using the generic interface within Netremote, i can build pretty complex UIs using just net remote alone to send the ascii and that it could still be bidirectional...

I do not intend on doing PC control, but using elk's hardware primarily (in conjunction with pocket pc's and maybe a touchscreen/tablet for media control). But i'd also like the ability to do some small things via the elk as well (i.e. control tasks / arm / lighting via elk serial instead of Girder).

am i missing something?

thx in advance
-brad

You will find tons of overlaps in technology while configuring your system. Overall having it is better as it gives you another out if need be.

I think you'll be farther into Girder if you use a HTPC for video.

ie I use EventGhost which is a similar less functional out of the box application. I use it as a bridge between my RF remote control and my SageTV client. This allows me to do additional functions with the remote. Examples are dim the lighting when you press play, bright the lighting when you press pause.

Back