Door opener / closer

RichardU

Does anyone have a recommendation for an automated door opener and closer?

I'd like to automate a double door and a pocket door.

Thanks,

Does it have to have the whoosh/swoosh as it opens and closes too? :D

The pocket door is going to be the harder one to control. I've seen those in hospitals for handicapped but nothing that would look decent or be easy to install for the home market.

Pocket Doors have a track in the header then a bracket attached to the top of the door with wheels that roll in the track. I can think of a few ideas, but none that are practical to really build. Also, once pocket doors are in, it is a real pita to take them out to service so I would be a bit concerned about putting too much tech in the wall. If it broke, the door could be stuck closed and you would have a major deal on your hands repairing it.

I have 5 pocket doors and while this sounds cool, I'm not sure how practical I would find it. I've already had to tear 1 out to replace a bracket.

I would guess you'd use some kind of linear actuator but you'd also need some way to control them.... maybe a elk and a 2 inputs 1 for open and 1 for closed and turn on a output connected to a relay to run it... and using elk rules if it is "closed" then turn off the output ect...

I would wire everything so that it works independtly of the controller (using hardware switches) and also with the controller. You dont want to add another variable to the already complex scenario that Steve described above if you have to disconnect the controller for a while.

I would use a pneumatic actuator so that it does give the swoosh sound. And leave a panel somewhere to service it.

How bout a Minivan door mechanism? Haven't looked at one real close, but essentially it's a pocket door. Would be a hack, but might be fun project. Check a junk yard.

elcano said:
I would wire everything so that it works independtly of the controller (using hardware switches) and also with the controller. You dont want to add another variable to the already complex scenario that Steve described above if you have to disconnect the controller for a while.
that could easly be done with relays in parallel with switches

I have found something that looks like it would work for the pocket door Here

They even mention the "Star Trek" sound. Fortunately, this door slides into the side of a closet, and I would be able to easily include an access panel.

So far no one has mentioned this product. Maybe I'll be the one to try it and report on the results.

Thanks for all your responses.

Richard

Those Gentleman doors look very interesting. Would you mind posting back with whatever pricing information you get?

RichardU said:
Fortunately, this door slides into the side of a closet, and I would be able to easily include an access panel.
Thats good because you'll have to put the air compressor in there too.

I bet those gentleman doors are going to be pretty expensive, but that comes with being a gentleman.

Back