Motorola Premise

index.php
File Name: Visual Studio 2008 Wizard for C++ Driver Development
File Submitter: 123
File Submitted: 12 Aug 2009
File Category: Premise
Author: Motorola
Version: None

Premise Home Control HSDK is a Software Development Kit for writing Native Premise Drivers in C++. The last published version (V2.1) indicates that it is 'Compatible with Visual Studio 2005 only'. The HSDK includes a program called "Visual Studio 2005 Wizard Install" whose purpose is to install wizards that help you define a driver project and driver classes. This installer will abort if it does not find VS 2005.

After discovering what the installer does, I isolated the files it copied, adjusted a few values and put them into the attached zip archive. The archive contains the VC folder and several sub-folders and files. Simply copy its contents into: \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0. Allow the copying process to overwrite existing folders and files (don't worry, nothing will actually get overwritten).

Start VS 2008 and you'll be able to create a a new Visual C++ Premise Driver Project.

Click here to download this file

123, it's great that you did this! Unfortunately when I try to run the Premise Device wizard, I encounter a script error from Visual Studio. I've attached a picture of the error message.
PremiseDeviceWizardScriptError.png
I've verified this happens on a fresh XP SP3 + Visual Studio 2008 setup. Does anyone has any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or how to correct this?

Here's my guess:
Line 421 is a line in a JavaScript function called EnumerateDrivers and it attempts to open an XML file. "Access Denied" implies some sort of local security settings are preventing it from opening the file. It must be tied in to Internet Explorer's ability to execute Javascript locally, namely a web-page's ability to run code that opens local files. Check what IE is allowed to do in Intranet mode.

Attachments

• Line421.png
    Line421.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 16
Check what IE is allowed to do in Intranet mode.
Yes I had started looking at that and was trying to adjust some of the security zone settings but so far haven't had any luck. (By the way, I think VS runs the wizards in a custom zone, not one of the standard IE security zones. But I'm not 100% positive about that.)

Note that I ran into this without modifying these settings myself- just a fresh XP SP3 + VS 2008 that I set up specifically to see if this would repro' (since I also ran into it on an existing Windows 7 + VS 2008 setup). So I'm a bit surprised I'm the only one that has run into this. I'll keep tinkering, although I might just revert back to a VS 2005 setup if I get too anxious to start another native driver.

I wonder how much work it would be to reverse engineer these wizards and eventually port them to VS 2010.

Back