Driveway Sensor

olie

Hi,

I have an Omni Pro 2 panel and I want to put in a driveway sensor and have my omni panel notify me(email notifier board) and turn on lights etc etc.

I have accessible power at the hydro pole where the driveway sensor is to be installed. I have several UPB plugs and use UPB to control the lights in my house. I am wondering what would be my best option to achieve this. And detailed instructions how to do this.

Input/Output Module
3 Input/2 Output Low Voltage or Contact Closure 16-Pin

I was looking at this ^^^ but not sure how I would achieve what I need by using it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have access to PC Access and Upstart.

Thanks,
Brett

Here many years ago installed two Cartell sensors a bit under driveway and just ran the wires to the panel.

All you would need to do is run the cables over to your panel.  You could also connect the cables to your UPB contact closure.

My driveway is quite far away. I’d prefer not to run an additional wire all the way to in my basement. Is there any options to use my existing regular electrical that I have at the hydro pole for my outdoor yard light? I’m not opposed to wireless either as I have a levitan wireless receiver (45A00-1 I believe is the product number). I just need some know how on how to do this. Again anything helps

What type of sensor - magnetic loop in the driveway, photoeye or something else?

How far away do you want the sensor? If it’s too far to run wire not sure wireless will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olie said:
My driveway is quite far away. I’d prefer not to run an additional wire all the way to in my basement. Is there any options to use my existing regular electrical that I have at the hydro pole for my outdoor yard light? I’m not opposed to wireless either as I have a levitan wireless receiver (45A00-1 I believe is the product number). I just need some know how on how to do this. Again anything helps

Pete was suggesting you connect your driveway contact closure to the UPB I/O and you're good to go!  No need to make a long run :)

Could you explain how I would go about doing this? Sorry if I misunderstood.
Please correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly.
If I buy a UPB I/O and plug the driveway sensor right into the "always on" standard outlet, the driveway sensor would work as normal and then I would just use PC Access to program??

Sorry if Im missing something fairly obvious here, my knowledge is very limited when it comes to this sort of thing. 

I haven't bought a specific driveway sensor yet.. probably go with Dakota or Cartell not really sure yet. I would only need a 10 ft probe so I would save money in that regards.

As far as the module(UMI-32-W), I think that is the one that you guys are referring to.

The probes I used were NC / NO switches with a 12VDC power supply way long time ago.  I offset two on both sides of the ~ 40 foot width driveway. 

In the early 1990's used one set of photo cells.  Lots of false triggers.

Just to clarify if I'm thinking about this correctly... If I buy this (Simply Automated UPB 3 Input 2 Output Module) and simply plug the driveway sensor into the "always on"" plug it will work same as setting up a UPB light? Sorry Im just very confused about all of the inputs on bottom of the unit?

Thanks for all help 

Personally have never owned or used one with my Omni Pro 2 panel.  That said the manual mentions that the device sends links upon contact closure.

I have accessible power at the hydro pole where the driveway sensor is to be installed.

How far is it from the UPB controller. 

Have you tested a light / appliance module at the hydro pole to check the range of your UPB controller?

SA states:

UPB transmits farther (over a mile), is less susceptible to powerline noise and capacitive attenuation (signal reduction) than other technologies for three reasons:

• Pulse Position Modulation is a highly reliable time based method of sending bits; it narrows the possibility of power line noise affecting communication, unlike X-10 and other carrier modulation technologies.
  • UPB pulses on the power line are approximately 40 volts; more than five times greater than the 5 to 7 volt signals of X-10.
  • UPB transmits at low (4 to 40 kHz) frequencies, carrying much more power than higher frequency technologies like X-10 that transmits at 120 kHz.

olie said:
Just to clarify if I'm thinking about this correctly... If I buy this (Simply Automated UPB 3 Input 2 Output Module) and simply plug the driveway sensor into the "always on"" plug it will work same as setting up a UPB light? Sorry Im just very confused about all of the inputs on bottom of the unit?

Thanks for all help 
 NO. You will connect the relay terminal of the driveway sensor to the UMI-32 's I/O INPUT PORT 2 (contact closure) then use the OPII to detect the state of the driveway sensor's relay terminal - if vehicle is sensed, driveway sensor closes the relay which in turn is sensed by the UMI-32 as a closed circuit from with an automation rule would then turn on lights, etc....

Something like WHEN Driveway Sensor UPB Link ON, THEN EMAIL MESSAGE ....., THEN house lights on...

okkkkk I have been thinking about this very wrong. So I don't need to even buy the whole driveway sensor system, I simply need to buy a probe and then plug the probe into the UPB I/O? 

Sorry I just came back to this thread and re-read it as Im pulling the trigger on it this week. 
Can someone please confirm if I am thinking about this correctly? I don't need the probe and transmitter, I would just require the probe.

Thanks again @Pete_c @startrekdoors

I have a 200' driveway and dogs that like to eat unapproved visitors.  I installed this last year - a Guardline Driveway Sensor - by itself, it's pretty dumb, but the receiver had outputs for contact closure and 12V output.  

For my purposes, I didn't really have anything existing to tie into, so I took a zigbee door/window sensor, cut out the reed switch and soldered in some wire leads which I connected to the built in contact closure outputs on the receiver.  That's tied into my Hubitat. This has worked great - I have the receiver chime in the middle of the house to hear, but also have it set to alert via voice around the house, as well as alert my mobile.

Since it's a generic contact closure with a long range, it would be easy to adapt to your purposes regardless of the control system.  You could just connect the receiver outputs to a zone on your Omni - or if you have wireless sensors on the omni, you could tap into the external contacts for a portable solution like I have.  

Back