DS1490F / Linus OWFS problems

jantman

====UPDATE====
My temperature sensor is marked "DS18S20P", is there any difference between this and the DS18S20?

Can anyone confirm the wiring of the DS18S20P and the DS9490? I followed the diagram on hobby-boards.com for wiring the RJ-11 plug. I just put a 10" section of cat5 in the plug, and then stripped about 1" off of the ends of the two connected wires. I bent pins 1 and 3 on the DS18S20P 90 degrees, crossed them, and wrapped ground around them (as stated in the spec sheet). I then attached data to pin 2.

When I try to run OWFS with debugging output, I get:
Code:
   DATA: DS9490_reset
   DATA: DS9490_getstatus: Status byte[0]: A
   DATA: DS9490_getstatus(): short detected
   DATA: DS9490_reset: short detected
CONNECT: 1-wire bus short circuit.
   DATA: BUS_first failed during connect [001/008] (Probably non-DS9490 device and empty bus).

Is this not correct?

===============
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good site with information on troubleshooting 1-wire systems and Linux OWFS? I ordered a DS1490F USB adapter from hobby-boards.com, and got five DS18S20P's from Maxim as samples (I'm developing 2 embedded Linux projects that will incorporate 1-wire sensors). I installed OWFS on a Debian Linux system, and hooked up one DS18S20 to the USB adapter (crossing Vdd and Gnd, as I'm using parasite power). I've tried two of the DS18S20s, and am able to get my machine to see the USB adapter, and generate the filesystem for it, but it's not seeing the temp sensor.

Any help, or links, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

The P at the end of the part number means you have the parasitic version of the DS18S20 so you don't have to worry about connecting the VDD and GND pins together since that is done internally.

Sorry but I'm not going to be any help on the OWFS questions.

Eric

Back