ds18s20 + 9490R help needed

edk

I ordered a few ds18s20 (temp sensors) and the ds9490R (usb interface) and am trying to get this combo to work.

I installed owfs 2.7p21 and it seems to be running fine on ubuntu. I'm able to find and mount the usb device and use the httpd interface.

Using the data sheets I plugged in a telephone cord. It has 2 conductors and they're in the center, so it appears that those should hook up to lines 3 and 4 on the usb interface. Please correct me if I did something horribly bad here.

Then I cut the other end, assuming that lines 3/4 are correct, hooked them up to pin 1 and 2 on the sensor.

The first time I did this, I had already plugged in the line to the usb controller and simply attached the bare wires to the leads on the sensor. When I checked the output in owfs, it showed the temp as 85 which google shows to be an error state.

Hmmm. I then downloaded the LogTemp windows program + the required drivers. Same output from LogTemp. In fact it gives me an "Error reading sensor: A9000801B5743010" Uh oh.

I assumed I must have killed the sensor with some static or possibly wiring it up wrong and shorting it. Kind of like I did when playing with LED in high school (a long time ago).

With the cable still wired up to the windows box, I put in a new sensor, and it gave me a reasonable reading of 30 which I assume is in C. I unplugged the USB plug with the cable still attached, and put it in the linux box next to it. And then the same problem. It showed 85. Moving it back to the windows box brings up the previous error.

My questions:
* How sensitive are the bare 18s20 parts? Do they die instantly if you hook them up incorrectly? Can I kill it if it's working and I unplug the usb controller and plug it back in? Did I kill it or is there some sort of reset command that can be sent to them?

* I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct since it worked once, but is there anyway to test if the cable I have is hooked up to the correct lines? I have access to a digital fluke multi-meter.

* Do I need to use external power? I'm just testing the parts to see how they work and the line length is less than 10 feet. I found a possible answer, but want to make sure: from http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...18s20&st=15
>All the DS18S20 we sell are the externally powered type not parasitic. The DS18S20-P is just our part number and
>the P show that it is a part not a kit or assembled unit.

Any tips and advice is appreciated. I've already blown two of the sensors (i think), and I want to avoid doing that again.
TIA,
Ed

eeek. So I found a post that mentioned that not connecting pin 3 and 1 could cause problems occasionally, if I understand it correctly. So I went ahead and did that, and the temp is now showing 25, yippee!

So I'm going to continue to experiment with this, but if anyone has tips on do's and dont's for hooking these little guys up, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
Ed

For better performance, connect the outer pins of the DS18S20 together. The VDD line should be connected to ground when using parasitic power.

Mitch

Back