DSL wiring and ELK

wired-up

I'm not at the new house to check this, but does anyone know if I can connect a DSL filter in the connection from the ELK 950 telephone surge supressor to the phone input on the M1G?
Suprisingly all works well without the DSL filter except the listen in speakers (mics work fine)
David

Yes, you should definitely have a DSL filter on there. It may appear to work but will probably not work when you need it the most. Check out THIS post and look at some of the threads linked in the second post. You can use inline or whole house filters. I prefer the latter and lately I like the Channel Vision filter that goes in a structured can.

Yes, you should definitely have a DSL filter on there. It may appear to work but will probably not work when you need it the most. Check out THIS post and look at some of the threads linked in the second post. You can use inline or whole house filters. I prefer the latter and lately I like the Channel Vision filter that goes in a structured can.

The RJ31x jack makes this a bit tricky. See this

Wow, thanks for that link.
I never knew what the RJ-31X jack was for. I just knew it was different than the -11. When I tried to put in the DSL filter, and it didn't fit, I was thinking of just replacing the jack, but then I saw all the different color wires. I will have to check to see if everything is wired up correctly.

Yes, I have an ADT system, with them monitoring, but when my contract is up with them, I will probably tie it into the rest of my HA system. Forgive me that I have sinned. I didn't know any better before I started reading the HA forums!

I also like that idea of using a pair as another alarm zone, so if they cut the wires, the alarm will sound. I've always thought it was silly to have your telco wires in a box outside your home that anyone can open and cut the wires.

Ok, so I have the ELK 950 power/telephone surge suppressor (that has a built in rj31x) I have 2 in line DSL filters. Please excuse the diagram, but does this look right?dsl.JPG

If you already have the inline filters that *might* (usually you need an RJ31x filter and it doesn't split out like you have it) work but its definitely not the preferred method. I rip out inlines whenever I can and use a whole house filter. I used to use the Siecor but now I really like the Channel Vision P-0411. It is a DSL filter, Surge and switchable RJ31x all in 1 nice package that snaps right into a structured can and it only costs just a bit more than a RJ31x filter.

Here is the Siecor I used to use (in fact still in my house but will be replace with the CV during my upcoming relocation)

Here is the Channel Vision in action.

Here is a typical filter used for alarm panels/RJ31x.

The Elk-950 is nice, but it makes it too complicated and messy for DSL.

My first choice is the CV. second choice the Siecor (you would put it in front of the Elk-950) so line coming into 950 is already filtered (but yes it does leave the DSL modem without surge) and last I would rig it up as you have pictured. Just depends on how neat you want it and cost. When you look at the prices of the other filters it's easy to see why I really like the CV all in one.

Back