DVR card vs. Network camera - view images

The fixed infrared camera with 23 LEDs operates in complete darkness. Last night the Panasonic had a completely black image, the infrared camera was seeing 50+ feet into the woods. I could easily make out detail in the back yard.
The high cost of the Panasonic is obviously due to the pan/tilt/zoom as well as the imbedded web server. I was surprised that the fixed infrared did not have a better picture during the day. GeoVision does have picture correction options that I have not yet tried. I might be able to get better picture quality and color during the day. There is no question that the infrared camera is perfect for nighttime operation.
I am also thinking that a black and white infrared camera might produce a better image during the day.

Rupp said:
Thanks for the link MRL. Is comparing a $139 camera to a ~$500 camera a fair comparison? I certainly would expect the Panasonic to be a much better picture. Now if they would just come out with a good Day/Night network camera.
Don't forget when you are making the comparison that the price of the Panasonic Camera = the price of the fixed camera + the price of a pan-tilt unit + 1/4 the price of the Geovision card + 1/4 the price of the PC. It's not fair to think of the Panasonic as $500 worth of optics.

What if instead of using a Geovision card and PC, you combined a fixed Day/Night camera with a panasonic BBHCS301A camera server? You get the simple set up of the panasonic with whatever optics you want.

Agreed upstatemike. It may be the Geovision card that is not producing the image accurately. Did you try inputting the camera directly into a video device. I know my X10 cameras produce a substantially better picture connected directly to the TV vs streaming via my TV wonder card.

As far as black and white cameras producing a better picture they do. I have a $200 day/night camera that can't match the quality of the $29 Harbor Freight B/W ir camera.

I called GeoVision tech support about not being able to view the camera via the GeoVision web server and Internet Explorer web browser from my AMD64 system when the browser interface to the GeoVision web server works fine from a P4 PC and from my Pentium laptop. The tech had me try a different setting - no help. The problem has been kicked-up to the next level of support. They have to get back to me. Not a good sign. My AMD64 system is using the same NVidia graphics driver as is in the PC that the main GeoVision software is installed on. I can get to the camera via the browser on the PC the main software is installed on. Strange problem that could be a deal breaker.

Typical non-support from a vendor. I cannot get a camera image from the GeoVision web server (login and connect are successful) using Internet Explorer on an AMD64 XP Pro SP2 plain vanilla PC.
Sent email on Monday - no response. Called on Monday (not an 800 number). Tech had to bump problem up the ladder. Would get back to me by next day. No response. I sent a second email today. I will call out to Ca later today. I expect that the GeoVision DVR-650 card will be going back.

Thank you firstly for reaching GeoVision Technical Support. Your inquiry has been sent to our account, if you didn't receive our reply in 2 or 3 days, please kindly re-send your inquiry again.

Back