Early Home Automation

Event5

Hi All,

I believe, awhile back Wayne started a thread asking about how we got started and what systems were available.

Some of you have heard of "Mastervoice" Voice Activated Home Automation. The first Voice Activated system ever. The first unit is in the Smithsonian. It came on the market in 1986 as "The Buttler In a Box". The inventor, Gus Searsy, holds the first 2 patents issued for voice recognition. As a freestanding unit it controlled X10 and could communicate with a PC by rs232. It was very powerfull back then with "If" statements in timers and Macros.

The systems are still available however somewhat "dated" compared to what we can do now.
Here is a video of the system appearing on a tech show in the 90s. A nice look back at what was.

Enjoy
Dave

Ok Gang,
You will have to wait to find out what I tried to post and why it was rejected.
Stay tuned
Dave

The spam filter didn't like the link you provided. To many "odd" characters in it I'm guessing. :unsure: Here is the link substituted for your "HERE" posting below (without the HTTP linking):

video.mpegnation.com/a001673847602061306185207576.html

Just add the http:// prefix and place it manually in Explorer

ORIGINAL THREAD FROM Event5 SHOWN BELOW

Hi All,

I believe, awhile back Wayne started a thread asking about how we got started and what systems were available.

Some of you have heard of "Mastervoice" Voice Activated Home Automation. The first Voice Activated system ever. The first unit is in the Smithsonian. It came on the market in 1986 as "The Buttler In a Box". The inventor, Gus Searsy, holds the first 2 patents issued for voice recognition. As a freestanding unit it controlled X10 and could communicate with a PC by rs232. It was very powerfull back then with "If" statements in timers and Macros.

The systems are still available however somewhat "dated" compared to what we can do now.
HERE is a video of the system appearing on a tech show in the 90s. A nice look back at what was.

Enjoy
Dave

I will be offering a Mastervoice unit in my next selloff later this month along with some other truly vintage stuff... Anybody want a Hypertek HomeBrain?

ChrisWalker said:
I didn't know that CocoonTech had a "spam hating cyborg."  Now that's not something you see every day :blink:

Chris
Yes, another CT first! :D It is usually pretty fool-proof, though every now and then it gets a "wild hair"! :unsure: Maybe electron hasn't been feeding it enough (errr, wait...I think it might have been my turn this week :eek: ).

Guy Lavoie said:
upstatemike said:
Hypertek HomeBrain?
Just the name sounds vintage already. Back when home automation still had an aura of mystery around it.
Actually a pretty nice unit if you can deal with stack logic...

Attachments

• HomeBrain2.JPG
    HomeBrain2.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 36
upstatemike said:
I will be offering a Mastervoice unit in my next selloff later this month along with some other truly vintage stuff... Anybody want a Hypertek HomeBrain?
Is this the Butler in a box?

Any truth to some of the hysterical stories that I've heard about this thing falsing in the middle of the night and going off into a loop of never ending "What did you say, Master?" responses?

How much will you be asking?

George West
www.wtrs.net

George West said:
upstatemike said:
Is this the Butler in a box?

Yes

Any truth to some of the hysterical stories that I've heard about this thing falsing in the middle of the night and going off into a loop of never ending "What did you say, Master?" responses?

Never had that happen but I really never used it much

How much will you be asking?

Haven't thought about it yet... but it will be a good deal

(as in "a bargain"... NOT a good deal of Money)

George West
www.wtrs.net

George,

If you need some help programming it. I worked for the Inventor, installing and programming them for 4 years.

Dave

Back