EHX Nov 2007 Show

Big Thank you to IVB, Steve, and Martin at the AO booth. As a newbie, I am getting tremendous info about CQC HA and connecting the dots/processes such as UPB lighting, and Caddx security with cellular remote functions. IMHO as a newb, EHX and AO really brings the HA concepts into a reality you can see and hold.

Now, to implement what I just learned from everybody.

Thank you!

Mike, i agree about the leviton's and intematic intouch. i had a similar discussion over here http://www.accessha.com/forums/z-wave-tech...e-switches.html as syner.

My problem with the intermatic intouch line - 1. the 15amp switches make really loud clicking noises. they confirm this on the intermatic forums and chalk it up to that they were made more for a commercial setting than home use (wha???). it is really annoying and i can't find anyone who wants to deal with them after hearing the 15amps from leviton, homepro, etc. 2 - the dimmers really need the side toggle like the leviton's. using a built in dimmer is both clumsy and hard to get used to for the timing. for the homepro's you have to click them really fast otherwise they dim right away and for the intouch i have to hit them a couple of times instead of just holding them on the 1st click to get them to dim properly.

i agree that the intouch line has the most solid feel of all the switches i have tried so far. also, it has something of a european styling with the finger imprints though so that is hit or miss just like the rockers on the levitons.

the intouch multiple scene controllers look horrible IMO. the leviton 4 (zone) controller is the best i have seen. take another look at them and compare them to the intouch line. you may agree...

labelling the multiple scene/zone controllers has been horrible all around so far. this is the same problem with some of the handheld remotes. whoever designs these does not take in account that people might actually want to label the switches to know what they actually control. i'm sure there is more to it than that but IMO there could be a better labelling system.

in all the leviton's have had the most success for me. most people don't really like the rocker style decora switch but it is the lesser of all the evils so to speak. it has led confirmation and is 'off' lit whereas the intouch has no lcd confirmation on the switch and the lighting is for including/excluding the device from networks, not for finding the light in the dark or knowing if it is off. with the leviton i can just look to see if the led is on at the bottom to tell if the room light is off without having to go into the room. this is all by default also. i don't need to program the led out of the box to be lit when off like the homepro's. much more intuitive.

check out the acenti z-wave line too if leviton has it there. i believe they are working on getting those out also and they have a style all of their own. again they use the rocker style i believe though.

and as i metioned on an earlier post, look for the cooper wiring aspire rf line that just came out. they look nice. so far they seem pricier than the leviton's though. if you can try them out and put it in our post if you come across them that would be great.

also, it looks like pulesworx is using the hai omnitstat and the rcs tr/tz16, both of which have z-wave models of too.

did you try out an umpc at lifeware? if so, any reviews on it?

... it looks like pulesworx is using the hai omnitstat and the rcs tr/tz16...

I don't know from techie stuff, but the HAI guys came over to see a demo of CQC and were seriously impressed.

We only got drunk with the pulseworx and RCS guys; they were pretty cool, even if the RCS guys made me drink Tequila and the Pulseworks Sales guy decided he wanted a Charmed Quark souvenir, and decided to cut off the CQC logo from my shirt. I happened to be wearing it at the time, but that didn't prove to be an impediment...

Alas, if I was only joking this time...

Attachments

• IMAGE_00155.jpg
    IMAGE_00155.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 61
My problem with the intermatic intouch line - 1. the 15amp switches make really loud clicking noises.

I didn't notice that. Maybe because of the show floor noise.

it has something of a european styling with the finger imprints though so that is hit or miss just like the rockers on the levitons.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Didn't really like it or dislike it - just different. Seemed more like a window control in my car than a home light switch.

the leviton 4 (zone) controller is the best i have seen.

I did like the look of the Leviton 4 zone controller, and I like that you can custom label the buttons. I'm hoping to check out the scene controllers more today.

check out the acenti z-wave line too if leviton has it there. i believe they are working on getting those out also and they have a style all of their own. again they use the rocker style i believe though.

Are those the big "chunky" ones? I didn't realize they were Z-Wave. I really disliked those.

and as i metioned on an earlier post, look for the cooper wiring aspire rf line that just came out. they look nice. so far they seem pricier than the leviton's though. if you can try them out and put it in our post if you come across them that would be great.

I was looking, but Cooper doesn't seem to have a booth. I'm not sure if any other vendors are showing them, but I haven't seen any... From what I understand they'll have full up/down rocker action, but both microswitches will be identical - meaning you can press up to turn a light off if it's already on. I still don't like this because it will not allow some of the triggering I currently do. Also, if a guest is over and isn't sure which light switch controls what, it could become very confusing for them. But, it sounds better than Leviton's switch to me.

did you try out an umpc at lifeware? if so, any reviews on it?

I saw them using a Sony UMPC for demo, which looked nice. Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

Pulseworks Sales guy decided he wanted a Charmed Quark souvenir, and decided to cut off the CQC logo from my shirt.

lol - was that Scott??

We only got drunk with the pulseworx and RCS guys; they were pretty cool, even if the RCS guys made me drink Tequila and the Pulseworks Sales guy decided he wanted a Charmed Quark souvenir, and decided to cut off the CQC logo from my shirt. I happened to be wearing it at the time, but that didn't prove to be an impediment...

Good thing you were not wearing the CQC G-String at the time! :)
182929080v_150x150_Front.jpg

the shirt is hilarious. bravesirrobbin said it best!

here's the link on the intouch 15amp noise issue http://www.intouchcontrolsforum.com/forums...thread.php?t=19
i've tried 3 different switches just to make sure i wasn't hearing things either. maybe you can ask them if and when they will correct this problem.

the acenti are the big chunky ones. the ones i saw had blue led lights. they are regular switches now but will have a z-wave version sometime in 08 from what i was told. just another style to add to the list.

ya the sony umpc is what i was asking about. thanks.

My problem with the intermatic intouch line - 1. the 15amp switches make really loud clicking noises.

If you're still here, go check it out again; I was pressing it too, didn't notice it either, until the sales guy shows you how hard you have to press on the rocker.

Oh....My....God.... I could hear it *over* the blaring Rush Concert on whatever that speaker company was next to the Intermatic booth. But, he did say the HA(18?) was silent. He didn't have any of those on the floor though.

Where are the group photos?
I don't have my camera with me, that was my cellphone camera, so the few shots I took look like underlit crap. I can try again today, but recorded evidence from yesterday was *not* an option...

the noise is loud and there is no mistaking it. buy 1 and try it out at home without all of the noise of the show. the click is seriously loud for a home residence. The HA18 is from their Homesettings line which is not the Intouch line. These switches are cheap (about half the price of the Intouch line; you can find them on Amazon) and will have a totally different style and form factor. their Intouch models all start with CA and are in the thousands like CA3000. i have their dimmer and in wall scene controller and they work fine. they are smooth and quiet. it is switching the 15amp that is the problem, not the whole line of intouch switches.

if you see them again, ask them if they will be adding the full thermostat command class to their remotes anytime soon. looking for a good handheld remote that fully supports thermostats other than the zth100. thanks.

If you're still here, go check it out again; I was pressing it too, didn't notice it either, until the sales guy shows you how hard you have to press on the rocker.

Oh....My....God.... I could hear it *over* the blaring Rush Concert on whatever that speaker company was next to the Intermatic booth. But, he did say the HA(18?) was silent. He didn't have any of those on the floor though.

Where are the group photos?
I don't have my camera with me, that was my cellphone camera, so the few shots I took look like underlit crap. I can try again today, but recorded evidence from yesterday was *not* an option...

I did go back, you're right - they are very loud.

The other switches on display didn't seem to require as hard a press as that relay.

ya with a click like that they should be rated 30A not 15A...

I did go back, you're right - they are very loud.

The other switches on display didn't seem to require as hard a press as that relay.

MikeB said:
I also took a look at the Leviton Vizia RF scene and zone controllers. The Leviton rep couldn't really tell me the difference between them - he claimed they were the same, but with a different name (I doubt that's the case). The zone controller is a rocker switch (left is on, right is off), but the scene controller is a single-press toggle switch. Leviton tells me they offer custom-etched buttons for the scene controller (very cool), but not the zone controller (??). I believe they both offer an IR input (also very cool).

The scene and zone switch are the same device. They just have a parameter set that changes their behavior. I know this because I purchased a scene switch and what I reall needed was a zone switch. So Chris Walker told me which parameter to set to change it. I forget what that parameter was but if anyone ever needs it I'm sure its lost in my gmail somewhere.

Back