EHX Nov 2007 Show

The scene and zone switch are the same device. They just have a parameter set that changes their behavior. I know this because I purchased a scene switch and what I reall needed was a zone switch. So Chris Walker told me which parameter to set to change it. I forget what that parameter was but if anyone ever needs it I'm sure its lost in my gmail somewhere.

Hmm... interesting. So why 2 different devices I wonder? Because one is a rocker and another a toggle?

it's kind of flaky but from what i remember about leviton scene/zone (area) setups is that there are just different naming conventions for groups of z-wave devices. you might have a scene of 'all lights' whereas you might have a zone called outside lights which include your front and back outside lights or porch lights for just your front lights. an (area) would then be multiple zones such as porch lights + landscape lights. just their try at a z-wave naming convention.

mostly they are a matter of style. i personally like the rocker on/off of the zone controller vs. the push on/off of the scene controller. it goes back to the leviton decora debate. you can use the decora bottom button on/off which would equate to the scene controller or you can use what you would consider a typical light switch with 1 side on, 1 side off hence the zone controller. the down side to the zone controllers is that the labelling is harder. they should probably move the buttons off to 1 side on the zone controller so you have more room to put a label next to each button. the scene controllers should probably have larger buttons so you have more room to label on them also.

Back