Hi, Pete,

Here's the settings for my recordings.

Kevin

Attachments

• NVR Recording Settings.jpg
    NVR Recording Settings.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 28
You're welcome, Pete.

The only complaint I have about the QNAP NVR, it's a relatively low-powered Atom processor, so it can be a little slow accessing recordings if it's busy doing something else. With a faster processor, it would be great.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

So basically the box is recording 8 streams of videos 24/7?  How are motion events triggered?  (can you do both external and internal motion events?)

Yup here now playing with 2-3 sized streams from the HD cams.  I do not record the streams 24/7.  Instead I just captures events 24/7 which are little snippets of video then compile them into one day's video.  This go to a NAS box right now.  I do trigger the "events" today with what is built in to ZM and external motion sensors.  The box today though is still connected to an 8 port analog video capture card and I have added now 8 (more?) IP cams.

It's a core duo box but running 32bit linux at this time.  I am wanting to up it to a I something or another and go to 64 bit OS on it.  I might go to a smaller box with a similiar two drive Raid1 type setup but no analog capture card in this box. 

Hi, Pete.

The NVR only records on motion events. You can setup zones and sensitivity for motion. It's not as good as Vitamin C. You can, of course, set it up for scheduled recordings and from the alarm outputs on the cams. Here's the setup screen:

Attachments

• NVR Alarm Settings.jpg
    NVR Alarm Settings.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 14
Curious can you set up an analog motion detection connection(s) for each camera (directly or indirectly via the network)?

I currently use the HAI OPII panel outdoor motion sensors to trigger the motion events for ZM. 

I've tested wireless remote control just for recording and stopping the recording of events per camera and it does work OK.

I like it better than using the live video to determine a motion event.

I'm not sure, Pete. I've never tried it. I would like to get better control over the motion events, but haven't had time to look into it.

Thanks Kevin! I think any other question I might have had, Pete has asked. I will definitely be looking at this model for fall and will be paying attention to the processor before buying. For a thousand bucks - it sounds OK to me but if they came out with a faster processor model, that would be nice.

You're welcome, Monk.

I looked at the link on your original post, and it's for the 2108 Pro. I missed that the first time. This is the new updated model of my 2008 Pro. You may want to call QNAP Security and ask them about the difference. I would think it would be faster than mine.

Good luck,
Kevin

Just a thought, but since I deal with this stuff, Milestone has a trial of their software, only downside is archiving doesn't work after 30 days, but there's multiple easy workarounds.

We use it on a few sites, just roll your own server that's within spec and you're done.

Thanks DELInstallations.

Had been watching this model for awhile - finding it for ~1500 sealed the deal! Should have it in hand this week.

Cool, Monk. Since I have more than eight cams, I wish I had your new unit!

Good luck with it.

Kevin

Back