Eight Channel DVR

Practically any IP camera will do. I have a variety of IQinVision cams and an Acti connected to my NVR.

Most NVR manufacturers have a list of compatible cams.

There are many equivalent softwares.
One of them is Digifort Enterprise version 6.7.1.0 or later.
You may explore to their official website to find out more info.

Digifort server can be installed and run on Windows-based computer
like OS WinXP, Win 7, etc.

If you have further questions may e-mail at : [email protected]

Monk said:
I am looking at Qnap NVR's. It seems to me that there should be some sort of software package that can do the same thing using a computer. Here is an example of one that is an 8 channel and houses 2 drives.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=936033&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Does anyone know if there is equivalent software?

Update - My server arrived a few weeks ago. I installed 4 2TB drives as a raid 5 and set 6 cameras up on it. Left all settings at default regarding recording. All cams are doing 30FPS 24x7. So - I now see the server is scrolling off older recordings. At my current settings, it stores 20 days before scrolling off while keeping just under 300GB free space. I know the free space to keep is a setting I can change - so I'm going to back that off a bit. It might add only a few extra days or so of stored recordings. In addition to the 24x7 recording, I have motions setup on all cameras so that adds a bit too. Here is where I will gradually make changes as I watch the number of days worth of recordings increase. Once at a setting I can live with, I intend to add a few more cameras. Spring project perhaps.

Something else to consider is reducing the FPS... I've found that I'm very happy with 15FPS, which could effectively double your duration.

I will probably be reducing the FPS - but also the settings for quality/bandwidth might make a bit of difference, eh?.

Yeah, the main consideration with quality/compression is how it looks at night. Usually you can get away with a decent amount of compression during daylight hours and not notice much of a difference. However, it's usually much easier to recognize [a loss in quality] in the night images.

FPS is only part of the equation....quality has a minimal impact.

You need to know the codec that is being used for the NVR. Use a MJPEG or MP4V, etc. you're going to use a lot more space than a H264 codec. Also, you need to know what size the image is on top of it....CIF, 2CIF, VGA, etc. That will also affect your storage usage. 15FPS is very reasonable for video.

Back