Ekeypad Plus Problems!

Hi Jayson,

Uninstalled and installed application and it no works. There are still some issues

Lighting

The only issue now is the dimmer slider. It works some times but is very intermittent. It won't work at all mostimes, when you get it to work you might be able to slide a change once then it sticks and won't slide. The changing state on page slides now has been fixed.

Zones

Jayson zones remain very confusing! Did you have a look at the color code in ELKRM? I am now seeing your clear "colour" however it is not reflective of what the ELKRM (M1) status is. I am seeing where say a zone is violated the EKeypad is reporting clear or unknown state. I am seeing M1 violated ELKRM red X and you are reporting green. So the status is not reflective of the actual and combined with your colour convention it is very confusing and indeed not correct.

Red = Violated irrespective of whether the M1 is armed or not
Green = Non-violated irrespective of whether the M1 is armed or not
Yellow = zone bypassed irrespective of whether the M1 is armed or not
Clear = Say when EOL state detected irrespective of whether the M1 is armed or not . M1 in theory shouldn't have an unknown state

I think most would agree that having the above colour code convention would for us M1/ELKRM user makes perfect sense.

Outputs

These now are are working fine

Keypad

The dots now follow the page selected.

General comments and suggestions

The zone colour code convention I believe needs to be changed.

Could you have a connected status flag say on the top red or green dot confirming if the interface is connected to the the M1. If either the WiFi connection drops or the connection to the M1 drops then the status changes. That way you know if you are connected to the panel. Also when there is a disconnection Ekeypad doesn't seem to want to reconnect you have to close the application then open it again. It would be nice if it drops to retry and the suggest connection status reflect that it is trying to connect and confirm if successful.

Jayson some good progress in 1.0.5 not 100% there yet but getting there!

Regards,

Fleetz

I agree that the slider control causes a lot of trouble for some. I have had several sessions with my wife about this and we have come to a theory. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on it.

The slides are actually working all of the time. It seems the problem is in how the iPhone touch interface registers touches on the screen. The iPhone translates where your finger is into what it "thinks" you are trying to touch. Think about previous touchscreens with the tiny stylus tip and compare it to the size of your finger.

It appears that Apple is calculating the position of the middle of your finger tip. I find that if I place my finger centered over the control it works consistently, but my finger also obscures the slider. If I adjust the position of my finger so I can see more of the slider, the middle of my finger moves off of the slider. I believe this is the problem. When your finger moves off of the slider, the slider quits sliding quits.

Update: If you want to be able to see what you are doing while you move the slider, start by touching squarely on the slider button (your finger will obscure it) then while keeping your finger depressed you can move it up and down in addition to left and right. The key here is to start the touch on top of the slider button.

I have two ideas for how to improve this behavior.

1. Implement a tab that pops up when you select the slider. The way the keyboard does. This problem is exactly what those tabs are there to resolve. They give you feedback on what you a touching because your finger obscures the item. My thoughts are to put the percentage in the tab, so as you move your finger left and right you will see the number change.

2. Replace the slider with a button containing a label with the numeric light level as a percent. Clicking on the button will show a scroll wheel (see the timer in the clock app) all owing you to select a dim level.

I noted the comment about the zones on my todo list. In my revamped configuration, I am planning to add a toggle that allows you to choose between the ElkRM indicator color scheme and the eKeypad default colors.

I will see what I can do to improve the connection status. Putting an connected indicator might be a problem with the limited screen size. Most likely, it will be more feasible to detect the network changes and present message windows asking you what you want to do.

--
Jayson

Jaysonc,

I don't have an iPhone and have not seen nor tried your application. However, I have a suggestion for implementing connection status. A simple technique would be to monitor the "XK" messages issued every 30 seconds. They can serve as a heartbeat that restarts a timer. If the heartbeat is lost, the timer expires and triggers a "disconnected" indicator (and perhaps initiates a re-connection attempt).

The only snag is I'm not sure if the XK's are issued by the M1 or by the M1XEP. If by the M1XEP, then this choice of heartbeat wouldn't work for systems that use a generic RS232-to-Ethernet adapter instead of an M1XEP.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will look into that, but I fear you may already uncovered the snag related to the RS-232 to Ethernet adapter. The XK message is actually a message the M1 sends to the M1XEP. If you do not have one enrolled I suspect the M1 will not send that message.

--
Jayson

Jaysonc,

I don't have an iPhone and have not seen nor tried your application. However, I have a suggestion for implementing connection status. A simple technique would be to monitor the "XK" messages issued every 30 seconds. They can serve as a heartbeat that restarts a timer. If the heartbeat is lost, the timer expires and triggers a "disconnected" indicator (and perhaps initiates a re-connection attempt).

The only snag is I'm not sure if the XK's are issued by the M1 or by the M1XEP. If by the M1XEP, then this choice of heartbeat wouldn't work for systems that use a generic RS232-to-Ethernet adapter instead of an M1XEP.

OK, none of my lighting works with the new update. Again, I have an Elk talking to an ISY. The app looks like it's trying to query the lights but thats as far as it gets. I also can't add Zones to my favorites. Thermostats still take a long time to query and so do Zones. The new update feels like a step backwards. ;)

BryanE,

PM me your contact details, and a good time to call you. I need to work with you to determine what is causing the behavior you are describing. I added the spinning indicators beside the devices (lights in your case) to indication that eKeypad has not received a status from the panel.

Thermostats should be updating almost instantly. Zones should not be delayed either.

The adding of zones to favorites, is a known issue with this version. It is already fixed and will be in the next update.

--
Jayson

OK, none of my lighting works with the new update. Again, I have an Elk talking to an ISY. The app looks like it's trying to query the lights but thats as far as it gets. I also can't add Zones to my favorites. Thermostats still take a long time to query and so do Zones. The new update feels like a step backwards. ;)

...The XK message is actually a message the M1 sends to the M1XEP. ...
Bummer. That means the app will have to actively poll the M1 ... maybe something simple like requesting the state of a zone or counter.

Good luck with the application; we're all rooting for you.

Oh, we will not have to do polling. There are other ways to skin this cat.

...The XK message is actually a message the M1 sends to the M1XEP. ...
Bummer. That means the app will have to actively poll the M1 ... maybe something simple like requesting the state of a zone or counter.

Good luck with the application; we're all rooting for you.

How about: Create an M1 rule that periodically transmits a predefined text-string that is monitored by eKeypad Plus.

That is an option as well, but my concern is that while anyone on this board would have no problem with that, not all eKeypad users will be able/willing to make changes to their panel to accommodate an external application.

My initial analysis shows that I will be able to monitor detailed connection status without relying upon additional network traffic or panel configuration assumptions.

--
Jayson

How about: Create an M1 rule that periodically transmits a predefined text-string that is monitored by eKeypad Plus.

Just an update from my side since I haven't chimed in since playing with this update... When I got home the other night I'd left my iPhone at home, but loaded it up on my iPod touch - and noticed that when I went to favorites it would always crash - everything else seemed OK. Obviously something was corrupt in there, so I completely removed the app and reinstalled it...

Noticeable speed increases and responsiveness going from screen to screen- still a little laggy getting status, but that sounds like it'll be fixed in the next version when Jayson implements Caching. I also noticed the message on the initial screen is much clearer about where to go for your settings.

I did confirm that I was still unable to add zones to favorites - and in certain cases the status of the zones was out of whack. Also, I noticed that if I had a zone that was bypassed through ElkRM it would update the status screens when I unbypassed them, but if I re-bypassed them, they wouldn't update the status - nor would a refresh. I'd have to exit out of the app and come back in to see the clear zone (should've been yellow I believe)... and the description of a bypassed zone was "Fire Allarm". Obviously invalid.

Luckily Jayson was online in the chat and he confirmed and fixed most of the things I saw right then while we were chatting - so I have faith that the next one will be even better. Jayson will have to confirm when he plans to send the next copy over to Apple - depending on if he wants to include anything else.

I don't have lighting yet and I didn't test the outputs - but general impressions was that it was more responsive. I do believe it needs a better way to know when it lost connection to the M1 or isn't on Wifi yet when you open the app - or let the device sleep while on the app then re-open it - that always causes me to have to exit and come back. I'd like to leave the Touch open to the app most of the time and be able to pick it up, wait the 5 seconds for WiFi to reconnect, then proceed with lighting or thermostat control without having to exit/relaunch - so Whatever Jayson can do on that would be great.

For me this was an improvement overall as nothing I use was negatively impacted - and the little bugs encountered already have a fix in and aren't that important to me... Keep up the good work and progress Jayson.

Ok, I can see the app for the new version. But I don't see how to upgrade. Can anybody steer me in the wright direction.

Mike ;)

Mike,

Two ways:

1. On the phone open the "App Store" application. In the bottom right corner is a tab labeled, "Updates. If you click on this tab, it will search the iTunes store and display all updates available for applications you have installed. Downloading the update this way will download the update directly to your phone.

2. On your PC/Mac open iTunes. On the left side is an "Applications" category. if you click on it, the right side of iTunes will display all of the applications you have downloaded through iTunes. At the bottom right of the screen is a link that says, "X Updates Available". (Note there may be a delay while iTunes searches for updates. Click on this link to download updates to your PC/Mac. You will have to sync your phone to load the update.

--
jayson

Ok, I can see the app for the new version. But I don't see how to upgrade. Can anybody steer me in the wright direction.

Mike ;)

Mike,

Two ways:

1. On the phone open the "App Store" application. In the bottom right corner is a tab labeled, "Updates. If you click on this tab, it will search the iTunes store and display all updates available for applications you have installed. Downloading the update this way will download the update directly to your phone.

2. On your PC/Mac open iTunes. On the left side is an "Applications" category. if you click on it, the right side of iTunes will display all of the applications you have downloaded through iTunes. At the bottom right of the screen is a link that says, "X Updates Available". (Note there may be a delay while iTunes searches for updates. Click on this link to download updates to your PC/Mac. You will have to sync your phone to load the update.

--
jayson

Mike ;)
Jayson,

Thanks, I thought I tried that earlier. Now a new problem. I can't open it. I see in a previous post there was the same problem. And the answer was to uninstall and reinstall the app. I am new to iphone and how do I unistall(I can reseach that) but once uninstalled how do I reinstall? The only software is on the phone, Do I download it again?

Thanks,

Mike :eek:

Mike,

PM me you contact number and a good time to call. I will walk you through it,

Update: Here is a link to the FAQ entry I created for this situation.

--
Jayson

Mike,

Two ways:

--
jayson

Mike ;)
Jayson,

Thanks, I thought I tried that earlier. Now a new problem. I can't open it. I see in a previous post there was the same problem. And the answer was to uninstall and reinstall the app. I am new to iphone and how do I unistall(I can reseach that) but once uninstalled how do I reinstall? The only software is on the phone, Do I download it again?

Thanks,

Mike :eek:

Back