Ekeypad Plus Problems!

First, I have been communicating with Jayson about this, and he always responds quickly, however I feel I need to post about this.

My concerns with this 44.99 application is that I cant get it to work in any reasonable fashion. Now first, I have an robust ELK setup that controls my whole house. I have a mainlobby interface for it, and I also use RM and and the Elk web interface. ALL of those applications have no delays (ie, push a button for alight to come one and it does instantly, a thermostat or zone change is shown immediately, etc).

ekeypad plus simply does not work at this point. I have tried disabling my elk rules and shut down my mainlobby server so that the only thing comming trough the ethernet expander is ekeypad plus and still *barely* works.

What I can get to work:
I can get it to *show* thermostat information, but it doesnt always show all of my thermostats
I can get it to *sometimes* show all of my lights, but sometimes only 2 or 3, or half or whatever
I can get it to execute about 3 or 4 light commands before it quits working.
I can get the "keypad" to show the arm status and *sometimes* respond to key presses.

What I cant get to work:
THe dimmer sliders DONT work
After turning a light on (or as said above 3 or 4 commands total of turing a light or lights on or off) ALL light commands quit responding (this is a ROCK SOLID Elk-ISY setup that has ZERO issues w/ elk web interface/mainlobby/elkRM)
Thermostat delay is unacceptable and quit burdensome to use (click temp up and it takes sometimes 5-10 seconds to show the change, sometimes instant)
Keypad key presses are very spoty at best, I got it recognize a 4 digit code ONCE to arm my system...again after that ekeypad quit responding to all keypresses.

and of course it most just crashes back to the home screen. I find if i reboot the itouch i can get another 3-4 commands in before it crashes again.

My network is rock solid and I can load graphics intense webpages on safari with no issue.

My feeling is that the code is bad in ekeypad, it is bogging the itouch down or doing something that is more complex than it should be (sending ascii strings to the elk!)....

What or other peoples experiences with this software? I am trying to give Jayson time, but I am approaching the point where I ask for my money back, i consider this alpha and *maybe* beta level software. (unless others show that my experience is unique!).

EDIT: If this was a 9.99 application i would be satisfied with its level of function, this is in general because I feel something i paid almost 50 dollars for and something priced MUCH higher than typical applications should function FLAWLESSLY out of the box.

If you do a search, you'll see some of the things I have gone through, as well as Fleetz - here's our thread:
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...&hl=ekeypad

All in all, the issues I've had I think I've seen in early versions of other apps as well - I kinda get the impression that IP on the iPhone can be tricky to code around... I'm hoping Jayson will figure it out - it sounds like his network is probably much simpler. Plus there's always the case where a Programmer knows how things are "supposed" to happen - so that's what they test... they aren't good at testing other ways of doing things.

In my case, there's significant lag with certain operations - but the ones I care about day to day are easy enough as long as I rest to my home screen, wait for wifi, then go into the keypad... and understand that some buttons have several second delays where it looks like they're ignoring you. It's kind of irritating, but i'm counting on Jayson to figure it out. I really think he needs to cache the Elk's configuration and not get it on every first-load, but instead when you choose to synchronize - as it is in ElkRM... I only have 20 outputs, 1 light, 32 zones, 1 thermostat, 3 keypads - and the lag for it to load is annoying for me - with a larger install, it'd drive me crazy.

We haven't really heard from Jayson in a while on what he's doing about this - I know he was trying to get more info, but I'd love to see an update from him on what he's found so far and what he's doing about it....

I know Fleetz also bought the app - I'm also curious who else all did - it can't be just the 3 of us, is it? Jayson - can you say how many copies you've sold?

Todd B, jcrack_corn, Fleetz,

I want to let you guys know that I have listened very closely to your feedback. I do not blame you for being upset that the application is not working for you. I would feel the same if it had happened to me.

It is obvious that we have a problem with current version of eK Plus (v1.0.1). Since my initial testing did not identify the problems you are encountering, I have used printouts of your forum posts along with notes from a conversation with Fleetz to guide additional, targeted testing of eK Plus.

This testing uncovered several code level issues:
1. Memory management. A pair of memory bugs were located and resolved
2. Output and Zone status indicators were accidentally being intermixed
3. Lost Elk messages would cause missing devices
4. The page indicator lights operate differently under firmware 2.2 (identifyed by BryanE)

Additionally several interface enhancements were identified:
1. Addition of a manual refresh button to device lists
2. Addition of status indicators for lighting devices
3. Configuration location and help listings were not easy to identify.

I have bundled these fixes and enhancements into an update (v1.0.5) which I submitted to Apple this past Wednesday. As soon as they complete their internal testing it will be available for download. I expect the update will be available Sunday or Monday, but at this time the final tasks are in the hands of Apple. I will post an update when Apple informs me the update is available in iTunes.

When this update is available, I will be looking forward to feed back from you guys to make sure it has resolved the issues you are having. My first priority is to make eK Plus a stable application. Your feedback in this respect is both vital and valuable.

--
Jayson

Hi Guys,

I have spoken at length with Jayson about the issues I had posted about a week ago. Jayson has been very concerned and responsive to the issues posted. Jayson called me here in Australia and we spoke for 30- 40 minutes. A number of the issues I am experiencing he can not replicate however he was going to check and change some of his code based on our discussion.

Jayson was hopeful to have an update version within two weeks which if he is still on track will be in a weeks time.

Yes it is early days and I was aware that eKeypad Plus was an early release product when I purchased it, I have no problem at this stage being part of the feedback loop. I have had previous first hand experience in software development in another life and I know that when you get your software out there invariably the client will break it. I believe Jayson is on it and should be given a chance to fix the issues.

Jayson sounds like he is really on the ball and very responsive, just give him sometime to address the issues. Now that the interface is out of Jayson's clinical development environment I believe it is important to assist him in better understanding the problems so he can correct them. I understand some frustration however cut him some slack and I feel confident that it will be resolved in reasonable time.

Regards,

Fleetz

I'll echo Fleetz' sentiments... Not upset about anything - in fact, I can use the app to do all the things that are important to me - my feedback is more related to what I'd do if it were my product to make it perfect...

I knew I was one of the first people to buy the app - and as such there's things the developer can't catch - but I'd seen Jaysonc participate in the forums and take feedback, so I figured he'd do his best to work everything out - and he seems to be doing just that.

I'm sure things will be fine in the end - in the mean time we're just providing usable feedback to jayson so he can try to replicate any issues - and he seems to be listening to our requests. I'm going to see how the update goes and report back with my results when it's ready.

Again, to clarify. I agree, Jayson is great, and the app will be great. However, it is marketed (just about EVERY tech forum i read BTW...) by Jayson as a finished/working application. We are all the very top echelon of end user, I imagine that "average joe" buying this app would be quite upset. That being said, even though I have programming skills and can integrate anything from the hardware end, I am very busy with life at the moment and dont have time to help a developer fix his software and that was not part of the 44.99 deal!

I am not talking about "nice" improvements like caching of the lights/zones, refresh button, bigger dimmer slider....i'm talking about CORE FUNCTIONALITY which is not present in this app (I hope it will be with the sunday/monday update). In my opinion, it was simply released way to early or should have been released as a beta app. OR as is but with a disclaimer on the app store page that the product was still in testing/development.

The update submitted Wednesday is a release specifically targeting the symptoms you guys are experiencing. It is important to mention that most of the issues you are encountered are not shared by other users. I do not mean to dismiss your frustration, I would share your feelings if I was in your place. However, both the beta testers and myself have not been able to recreate most of these issues. Thanks to your detailed descriptions I was able to identify and fixed the bugs mentioned above and release an update.

At this point, I feel fairly confident that your issues are all manifestations of the memory management bug. It is fully capable of causing all of the symptoms you describe and would explain why some devices operate with zero issues while others exhibit such basic functionality problems.

I am sure that you will see a large improvement with this update, but in the event that you continue to have issues after this update the next step will be for us to have a phone conversation to isolate your unique situation and find a way to accurately replicate your experiences on other devices.

--
Jayson

A quick update for everyone on the upcoming v1.0.5 update.

I was much surprised to find that I did not get a response from Apple over the weekend as I had expected. They have been very responsive over the past couple of months, but the turnaround is based on the number of application update submissions. When I receive their notice, this forum will be the first to know.

--
Jayson

I'd like to chip in here and say I had lunch with Jayson last Thursday, and he showed me the Pro beta (v1.0.5) that he submitted to Apple on his iPhone. We connected to my Elk remotely and everything went smoothly. My only real suggestion was also a pre-synchronization (like ElkRM) and caching or storing the configuration so each page wouldn't have to load everything every time, but that appears to be a redundant request.

My primary reason for getting the phone I have instead of the iPhone initially was the lack of a security interface software for the Elk, but with Jayson's work, I really have no reason not to get an iPhone (once the version of eKeypad with camera support is release, that is).

Well, the update has been approved by Apple.

It should be available through iTunes in less than 24 hours. I will post a fully detailed change log when it shows up in my iTunes.

--
Jayson

Hi Jayson,

iTumes are showing 1.0.5v for download. How do we "upgrade for those who have bought eKeypad Plus?

Cheers,

Fleetz

Worked it out...sorry a iPhone newbie! Will let you know how 1.0.5 goes

Well, the update has been approved by Apple.

It should be available through iTunes in less than 24 hours. I will post a fully detailed change log when it shows up in my iTunes.

--
Jayson

Guys,

eK Plus version 1.0.5 is now available on iTunes. I am anxious to know your experiences especially any issues.

--
Jayson

Hi Jayson,

No joy what so ever. Updated tp 1.0.5 and when I run the app the app launches and probably 10 seconds later it closes down and returns to the iPhone home page. So in my case a big backward step ;)

Regards,

Fleetz

Back