Electrical CIR (Consumer IR) Specifications?

ecborgoyn

Consumer IR links are generally optical, but MANY devices today have 'electrical IR' connectivity.  What specifications and/or standards exist for these electrical interfaces?

I realize that a few different CIR protocols exist.  And that many of these use same carrier frequency.  Google is good at providing this information.  But I don't immediately find specs on electrical interfaces.  Items like:  pin-outs, voltage levels, mod/demod.  They all seem to be 3.5mm phone-plug connectors, but some look to be 3 contact and some 2 contact.  Are these signals demodulated and only carry the base-band signals?

Companies like Xantech have full blown systems of IR receivers, transmitters, multiplexers, combiners, processors, etc.  Are these type of devices compatible with most equipment (amps, receivers, etc.).

I see that there ARE standards on how to translate CIR to/from IP, and that Xantech has such converters.  Are these others?  Perhaps open source s/w??  I'm still researching but thought I'd ask here first..

It might be 'fun' to build a CIR router device on a RPi platform.  It could bridge the gap between IP, CIR, electrical 'trigger' signals, etc.  Just some thoughts.

Back