Electrical NEC codes question, GFCI in basement

jokah

hey all, were running a top/bottom channel for lamp controll via switch + always on power on our outlets.

It is in the basement, codes state basements must be gcfi
Codes also say the breaker has to be arc fault.

I am still undecided on upb, zwave, etc.. So on a basic power level, my question is how can I meet both codes?

I had thought to route somthing like this

Arc Fault breaker -> GCFI outlet -> three way wire -> Switch/outlets

So basically my gcfi would controll outlets and switch. That how you guys do things, or is there an easier way?

Can you get a breaker that is GCFI? I'm not sure they make such a thing, but if they do that might be the simpliest solution.

Can you get a breaker that is GCFI? I'm not sure they make such a thing, but if they do that might be the simpliest solution.

I have not seen a arcfault/gfci breaker in one. I beleive the op's approach is correct as the gfci will protect the load side if wired that way.

I didn't have to put in an Arc Fault breaker back when I put in a Hot tub room, but I ran the 2 circuits to that room first to/thru a GFCI and then on to switches and outlets (all X-10 controlled) and that was fine with the code and inspector. They have been working fine for over 10 years.

I think arc fault breakers were first required this spring, or at least that's when the local inspector started expecting them.

I would like to clarify a couple misconceptions. First unless your state has amended the NEC , then 125 volt receptacles only in unfinished basements must have ground fault protection either by circuit breaker or by ground fault receptacle(s). However once the basement space is converted to finished (habitable)room then you do not need ground fault breaker or receptacle(s). You now are required to protect all 125 volt "outlets" with an arc fault breaker . This includes receptacles, lighting , switches ect. This is per 2008 NEC but again you need to find out if this has been adopted in your state or area. One last thing , if you finish off part of the basement then the finished part needs AFI , however the unfinished portion of the basement still requires GFI protection for receptacles only.

In MN the code is read to require GFCI on wet walls/basements; but also Arc fault in habitable rooms.

Its NEC 2008 + mn requirement it seems.

Also, I wont be able to say this isnt a wet wall, simply because the plastic on the block has severe condensation from being exposed all summer without the insulation and other plastic buffer.

I guess then I have to have GCI to switch/receptacles. What a pain in my fing ass. Thank god I bought extra large boxes.

Back