Elegant temperature zone sensor for M1?

fleetz

I am looking for an elegant temperature zone sensor for the M1. With respect to ELK the current version is not one that you would want on a wall in a new home.

I thought that the RCS TR-16 had the capability of running up to 16 connected to one TR-40 interface unit however it is a one to one device so very expensive.

I require 8 units in the new house. It would be nice to have some like the the TR-16 in appearance. I know the TR-16 is a communicationg thermostat and I only require a temperature zone sensor but I am prepared to pay extra for something I wouldn't use if it gave me an elegant solution. They don't necessary have to be a communicating type thermostat but OK if they look good.

I was thinking if I can't find one that looked nice I would bury the Elk TZS unit in a electrical wall housing an fit a RJ-45 socket and only have the temp sensor showing. If I did that I would not want to put it at what would be a normal height on a wall probably try and make it less obsure. If I put it down low then I would have to some how be able to recalibrate the TZS or put an offset to allow for a temperature differential between human shoulder height and say shin height.

If any one has any suggestions on an elegant solution 8 zone temperature sensor I would appreciate hearing from you.

I am also looking at one outdoor TZS too that would be suitable for outside use in a high humidity environment.

Thanks,

Fleetz

Excellent question. I'm having to deal with this for the new house as well. What I ended up doing was wiring for the temp sensors in the ceiling near the smoke detectors. The thought being if you're going to have a big ugly box like that, ceiling might be best. Plus it should be the hottest there and the main purpose of these in TX will be heat. I'll have to play with the differential of course.

That sais, I kind of like your RJ45 jack idea. Maybe I'll stick some single gang boxes up there and do as you mentioned. have to give it some though.

Of course an inconspicuous sensor would be the best solution.

Hi Guys

What another Homevision user did , was to install his dallas DS18S20 temp sensors into used bullet shells and embed the shell into his furniture...this is what im going to do with mine.......

HTH
Frank

FrankMc said:
Hi Guys

What another Homevision user did , was to install his dallas DS18S20 temp sensors into used bullet shells and embed the shell into his furniture...this is what im going to do with mine.......

HTH
Frank
Hi Frank,

Yes I am aware off the 1 Wire DS18S20 device. There must be an interface for the DS18S20 do you have any useful links?

Cheers,

Fleetz

Hi Fleetz

>Yes I am aware off the 1 Wire DS18S20 device. There must be an interface for the >DS18S20 do you have any useful links?

Have a look here on these Forums at Hobby boards , Eric sells a serial to 1 wire interface . Not sure though if it can be controlled directly by the M1 ......
In my setup i use my own Probe system for temp sensing as well as monitoring equipment status........It has a serial interface and uses a very simple protocol..

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/main_page.php

http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page9.html

HTH
Frank

Are folks already using 1-wire stuff with Elk? How? I thought Elk needed to rewrite something for that to work.

Does it show as temp sensor if it is? What about other 1-wire elements?

It has been proposed that Elk create a recessed temp sensor like the HAI one. With enough squeeking it may happen...

Back