ELK-106055 External Prox reader into KP2 keypad

mzn50

Hello everyone.. I installed a ELK-106055 External Prox reader into my KP2 keypad and am constantly getting beeps..
I verified the wiring.. the distance is greater then 10ft.. but from my searches, I seem to be ok at a 40ft distance.

Have any of you ever expirenced this beeping ?.. I have also installed that wo39A cable ..
thanks

I have this setup in two of my KP2's and do not have this problem. Mine are actually mounted inside the KP2 recessed housing.

Sorry.

If it is beeping, does it continue after you acknowledge it (* key)? Is there a message on the keypad? Bad wiring?

I have this setup in two of my KP2's and do not have this problem. Mine are actually mounted inside the KP2 recessed housing.

Sorry.

If it is beeping, does it continue after you acknowledge it (* key)? Is there a message on the keypad? Bad wiring?

Spoke to ELK.. they tell me 10ft is the MAX... has anyone had success with more then that.. and what would be he result if it is longer..
thanks

from what i recall of the manual for the external prox reader, there's a way to connect it to an external power source to achieve a run longer than 10 feet. i'm very interested in this as well as i'd like to install the keypad in the mudroom between the garage and kitchen and have the prox reader outside the garage (probably end up being 40 feet away or more).

hopefully someone from ELK can help?

I hope the 10ft max is only due to the power.

Most of the access sytems I deal with have a 100' to 500' maximum with HID readers.

from the reader install manual
The Weigand Reader would normally be supplied power from the contol panel or controller to which it is connected. Read range may be greater with a linear (non-switch mode) power supply.
so it should be possible, just a question of what to use for the power supply and how to connect it. any people more knowledgeable than me out there know how to do this? :)

EDIT: actually, the m1kp2 doesn't supply power to the reader (only two data wires). where are you sourcing the neg and +12V for the reader? i find it hard to believe it can't drive the signal over 30-40 feet.

EDIT2: "read range" refers to how far away the card/fob is from the prox reader and has nothing to do with the distance from the keypad.

hopefully someone from elk (spanky?) could give us an idea what limits the distance to 10 feet and some thoughts on workarounds, if needed.

Back