Elk 6020 or 6021 on Metal Fence Gate

DotNetDog

I have a metal fence around my back yard.  The metal is a thick aluminum.  Since I cannot run a wire to the gate I want to go wireless.  So I'm looking at the Elk M1XRFTW wireless receiver and the 6020 or 6021 sensor. 

However, the install guide for these sensors states that they should not be mounted on metal surfaces.  I understand that large metal surfaces could likely interfere with the signal.  What do you guys think about a fence gate?  There is not much metal surface so I'm wondering if it would work.

Has anyone used this sensor on a metal fence gate?

By the way, the sensor would be about 30 feet from the receiver.

Locating and Mounting the Sensor
We recommend that the ELK-6021 Mini sensor be installed within 100 ft. of the wireless receiver. While the open-air range is much greater than 100 ft., obstacles and conditions in a building can significantly decrease effective operating range. (Note: For longer range requirements check out the ELK-6020 Slim-Line and ELK-6022 Universal sensors.) The ELK-6021 should never be mounted on metal surfaces since the extremely low profile of the device causes the signal to be adversely affected by the metal.

Just get a weather proof plastic box, drill a hole in the bottom (as it mounts on the post), then silicon the wire coming out.  I run two DS10a's like this to monitor my outside gates (for over eight years) this way. ;)

Battleship saved!

Using the plastic box...if you mount the box to the metal gate or other metal object you can mount the transmitter to the cover. This will give a few inches of spacing from the metal and help with the "don't mount on metal" factor.

The Elk-6020 has the longest range.  The Elk-6022 is a close second on the range.  The Elk-6021 has a much shorter range due to the small battery and limited power output.

Metal surfaces will affect range.  Space the transmitter off any metal surfaces especially the Elk-6021 since its antenna is closer to the mounting surface than the other transmitters.

Back