Elk 950 surge suppressor

wanted

Hi all. Recently got panel damage due to lighting strike. So thought I will install a elk 950 to protect the replacement panel. However the new panel was supplied with a dc power supply. The instructions indicate the surge suppressor can protect ac power pack.

Has anyone connected a dc power pack to this surge suppressor. I think it may work as the manual indicates u can also protect keypad or data wiring along as the voltage is below 24v.

Can anyone confirm this works.

Thanks Anthony

Can this surge protector be earthed using the earth lead at a local power point???

The ELK-950 is designed to protect the telephone line and a 16.5VAC transformer.

The protection voltages for the transformer is about 35 to 40 volts and about 300 volts on the telephone circuit.

You can use a DC power supply on the AC terminals as long as it does not go above 28 VDC. There is no polarity.

A surge protector is only as good as the quality of the earth ground connection. The ground leg of an electrical outlet is a poor lightning earth ground. A cold water pipe with copper lines is very good.

I used to teach lightning suppression courses and I told my students, who were security installers, to add a low cost lightning suppression by driving nails into a wall and wrap the incoming wires about 15 times around a separate nail. The causes a large inductor which slows down the lightning so the suppressors have more of a chance to do their job.

Even if you do your best in adding lightning protection, sometimes lightning will find another way to ruin your day.

I used to teach lightning suppression courses and I told my students, who were security installers, to add a low cost lightning suppression by driving nails into a wall and wrap the incoming wires about 15 times around a separate nail. The causes a large inductor which slows down the lightning so the suppressors have more of a chance to do their job.

I've never heard of doing this. Could you expand on the idea.

Back