Elk and 2-Wire Polling Loop

toymaster458

Right now Zone 16 on the Elk systems can be setup to use 2-Wire sensors. The disadvantage with this is from an home automation stand point you do not know which device triggered the zone. Adding the ability of a "Polling Loop" would allow you to have multiple addressable sensors and each sensor would be uniquely identified with out needing to home run wiring.

Ademco, Radionics, Firelite, Silent Knight and other already have it in their Alarm and Fire Alarm Panels.

I know there are more important things to add to the system and I am not asking for this to be put at the top of the list but at least on the list. Elk thinks that the users might want this as a usable or needed feature.

Let your vote count in a product that is sure to grow strong in the years to come. Elk is one of the few companys that REALLY takes the time to listen to the users so lets take the time and vote.

What are the pros & cons of this polling loop versus adding more zones that support 2-wire sensors?

And when you say "sensors", do you really just mean smoke/heat sensors or are there other sensors that would go on this polling loop?

The bottom line is that I would like to have each of my smoke/heat sensors on their own zone and/or be identifiable and right now I don't think this is possible. One possible negative to the polling loop is that it would complicate the serial protocol. In other words, how would an outside application know that it was sensor 16a versus 16b? Right now, the Elk just reports the status of the whole zone.

Other companys have motion on the 2-wire also.

As far as pros & cons I am not totaly sure. Maybe someone else out there can answer that. I am just thinking if a fire starts, not only do I want to know I have a fire but where the fire is. For the job I am doing I am running 4-wire smoke detectors each to there own zone. That way I know where the fire is or which sensor is acting up.

It does take a lot of zones to do this but zone cards a cheap.

Another Positive for a Polling Loop if you want to know which Smoke Sensor went off. Has anyone thought of a negitive?

The only negative for the polling loop that I can think of now is the complications to the serial protocol and automation interface if you want to identify multiple devices on one zone.

One negative to adding more 2-wire zones is that the zone (currently) requires a jumper on the circuit boards, which means it it more complicated than a firmware update. Maybe they can do magic in the firmware to avoid needing that jumper?

OK, good idea. I agree with the need for a polling loop. Just tell me how to squeeze 10 pounds into a 1/4 pound bags worth of code space!!!!

Can any one say ELK M1 Platinum

You might want to figure something out now that I own an Elk. I might start requesting a bunch of stuff.

Someone with polling loop knowledge suggest a two wire smoke detector with polling loop capability that they like.

I talked with my installer and this is what he likes to work with

Ademco makes a whole line of addressable devices.
5192SDT V-PLEX ADDRESSABLE SMOKE DETECTOR
FG1625SN V-PLEX GLASSBREAK DETECTOR
998MX V-PLEX PIR
4190SN V-PLEX 2-POINT REMOTE ADDRESSABLES MODULE
4208SNF 8 ZONE INTERFACE MODULE FOR V-PLEX LOOP

FIRELITE AND SILENT KNIGHT ALSO MAKE NICE ADDRESSABLE SMOKE AND HEAT DETECTORS.

no problem with glass breaks. regular glass breaks hook up just like motion detectors... 2 wires for power, 2 wires NC to the zone

Back