Elk and American Standard HVAC

joe39562

Does anyone know if there is way for the M1 to communicate with the American Standard HVAC System/Thermostat?  My American Standard system has 3 wire communication between the furnace, thermostat, and heat pump.

I doubt that the existing thermostat will interface with Elk, but it could definitely be replaced with one that could. The underlying connections to the HVAC system would be wired, but the communication to the Elk system itself could be wired or wireless, depending on the keypad selected.

I did see recently that Elk has a firmware for the serial expander specifically for the Carrier Infinity system.  Anyone know if they could write one for American Standard?

I believe the interface to the Carrier Infinity doesn't directly connect to the serial bus.  Rather is connects to a Carrier System Access Module ($800 if you can find one. I hear they have been discontinued.)  This device was designed just for interfacing to their system.  If American Standard doesn't also offer a device like this, you are probably out of luck.  Can you even connect a controllable thermostat to the unit?  Not always.

Is your American Standard HVAC System/Thermostat utilizing the American Standard Acculink / Nexia stuff?

Googling a bit found that communications defined for AccuLink is a 3 wire connection.

acculinkthermostat.jpg

wiring2.jpg

The above noted I see standard wiring connectivity with non communicating (non American Standard) air handlers and heat pumps.

I am wondering then if your American Standard air handler has both Acculink and standard thermostat connections.

If so you could rewire everything and use an Elk thermostat with the standard wiring to the HVAC and Elk.

The Acculink system / Thermostat  is propietary and appears to integrate optionally to the Nexia residential automation system.

The Nexia bridge automation stuff appears to be all Z-Wave.  They show a Trane thermostat next to the Acculink one.

The Nexia bridge does mention that you can interface with other automation products.

Back