Elk and PSC05

noshali

Hi,

I can't seem to dim my lights using the keypad or any other means through elk. The switches work fine and dim when done from the switcvh themselves.

I have checked the setup in elkrp and tried every possible setting from preset dim to extended and nothing. ON and OFF works flawlessly so I am assuming that the signal is getting there.

What am I missing????

On a second note...Is elk capable to sending insteon and X10 through the 2414s when connected to the serial port expander....love isnteon but have a lot of money invested in x10 swithclincs and motion sensors.

Please advise.

Thanks

I have the insteon switches working as X10. I do not have amini controller. The ELK keypad can't seem to dim them either (first test).

I know that the switches are dimmable as I can dim them from the switch themselves.

I have tried using the java app that comes with the ethernet adapter and still nothing.

I am thinking that it is the way I have these setup in elk that is a problem. I should be able to dim using the elk keypad???

Thanks & Regards,

I do, but mine is currently acting up, have to swap it out before I can test anything for you, but my Lightolier X10 switches had no problems with dimming using the Elk M1/PSC05 combo.

noshali said:
On a second note...Is elk capable to sending insteon and X10 through the 2414s when connected to the serial port expander....love isnteon but have a lot of money invested in x10 swithclincs and motion sensors.
Yes, the ELK will do this however X-10 commands are limited to ON, OFF and Preset Dim for sending and will only receive ON and OFF. If you don't use the Powerhome ELK utility to set up your Insteon switches you just have to make sure you leave enough space for the Insteon lighting numbers.

When you enroll Insteon units in the ELK, they will start at Light Device 1 and go from there. Each time you add switches, it will pick up where you left off. I think the Powerhome utility gets around this but I haven't been able to get it to work due to some trouble on my end. I moved all my X-10 units on house codes G-L and that leaves room for 96 Insteon Units.

If you are using the M1XSP serial port expander, make sure you have defined the light as serial expander in the light setup tab on ELKRP.

The latest ELKRM software allows for dimming and brights with the STANDARD X10 DIM and BRIGHT Command. Click on the light name in ELKRM.

Sorry, I have been out of commission for a while.

Thanks for the responses.

Electron,
How did you have the lights setup in ELKRP? Thank...preset dim etc etc

So what I am hearing is that if someone dims the insteon switch (from the switch) that data is not captured by elk and elk would show it as on and off only even though the light could be at 25%???

I am not using the serial port expander. I am only using the psc05 but do have the serial port expander and the 2414s. I was contemplating whether I should do the insteon setup or just wait.

regards,

noshali said:
I am not using the serial port expander. I am only using the psc05 but do have the serial port expander and the 2414s. I was contemplating whether I should do the insteon setup or just wait.

regards,
I have added my Insteon devices to the M1XSP 3 times now. It seems every time I change something (add hardware) in my ELK system I loose all the Insteon information but the X-10 signals still get sent. I then have to put the M1XSP back in link mode and visit each switch. I only have about 20 switches but it's still a pain.

My point is i'm not sure if I am having an isolated problem or if this is common so your mileage may vary with this set-up. I have a couple M1XSP's on their way here and I plan to try another.

***** Edit*********

I just found a post on the ELK website that says the problem I described above is most likely due to bad flash memory in the M1XSP so maybe you should try the Insteon setup out. When I had it working it worked well; two-way status and all.

I will try and let everyone know.

So If I want to run a rule that dims a certain light to 50%. I could not find a rule in ELK that would dim the ligths to a certain level. Is there one?

How are folks dimming their lights witha touch of a button or as a task???

Regards,

If you don't try to control a light that is setup as a dimmer then you will not see the dimming radio button in RP. As an example, F6 on any keypad will turn light on 50%:

WHENEVER F6 KEY ON ANY KEYPAD ACTIVATES
THEN SET OTSIDE FRONT [1 (A1)] TO 50% BRIGHT, FADE RATE=0

Back