Elk and w800 in security zone

TheMax74

Hello cocooners. :blink:
I've many DS10 AND MS10 sensors in the house.
I'm evaluating HAI, ELK, and Comfort (UK) and i have a question:
Can i use W800RF as "wireless expander" receiver for the security (not only automation) in ELK?
In other words, can i assign, for example, an MS10 to Zone xx?
Thank you !

I guess what you could do is have the sensor turn on a real output, which in turn is wired to an input. I can't see any other way of doing this, and I don't think I would recommend it since as nice as those sensors are, they aren't secure, or don't support a heartbeat.

, and I don't think I would recommend it since as nice as those sensors are, they aren't secure, or don't support a heartbeat.

Further on Dan's comments I recomend you not do this. They are definately not up to security standards.

Now if you are self monitored... Maybe.

EDIT: Ooops, that was as out of context as you cen get.

Lighting control PIR (passive infrared) sensors are normally setup for a single infrared pulse to turn on the lights. If they false trigger, no big deal if the light turns on. Security PIR sensors are setup for multiple infrared pulses before the alarm trips.

Using a lighting control PIR will work, but you may have false alarms if used for security.

The ELK M1 has the ability to do cross zoning in which two or more zones must be triggered within a time window to cause an alarm condition. You could improve the false alarm rejection by connecting the lighting PIR's up as cross zoned.

Happy M1ing!

I would recommend it since as nice as those sensors are, they aren't secure, or don't support a heartbeat.

Further on Dan's comments I recomend you not do this. They are definately not up to security standards.

Now if you are self monitored... Maybe.
I guess I should have formed my sentence a little better, since that quote could make it look like I do recommend it. Just confirming I am against doing this. I treat the DS10A and other X10RF hardware as 'convenience' sensors, not security sensors.

I guess what you could do is have the sensor turn on a real output, which in turn is wired to an input. I can't see any other way of doing this, and I don't think I would recommend it since as nice as those sensors are, they aren't secure, or don't support a heartbeat.

Small clarification, while I do agree that the X10 stuff should not be used for "highly reliable" security monitoring they do provide a status heart beat, at least mine do through the w800 I have installed.

Ben

Back